About to do a recable.. question
Nov 29, 2006 at 11:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

oli84

100+ Head-Fier
This is a really stupid question but please bear with me:

On the plug, how do I know which of the solder terminals will be going to left channel or right channel? I'm doing this on a neutrik plug. There is a short terminal, long terminal, and I've figured out that the big oen where the clamp is is ground.

Any other tips would be appreciated.. this is my first recable job

Nov 29, 2006 at 11:54 PM Post #2 of 5
I'm sure we figured it's your first recable by the question
smily_headphones1.gif

On the connector: tip is Left, middle is Right, base is Ground

Read the "How to make interconnects" sticky post and you'll be good, just make sure you're recabling cheap headphones first.

Main things:

1) Find out which cable is ground and which is signal on the headphone drivers BEFORE removing the cable and mark it on the driver, it's just too easy to forget.

2) Don't apply too much heat to the driver or you'll toast it. No more than a couple of seconds (at a time if necessary, but let it cool down for a bit before trying again).

Nov 30, 2006 at 12:02 AM Post #3 of 5
lol giveaway question huh
tongue.gif

thanks, how about on the inside though? there is a short terminal, longer terminal, and one with the clamp on it which i think is the ground.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sure we figured it's your first recable by the question
smily_headphones1.gif

On the connector: tip is Left, middle is Right, base is Ground

Read the "How to make interconnects" sticky post and you'll be good, just make sure you're recabling cheap headphones first.

Main things:

1) Find out which cable is ground and which is signal on the headphone drivers BEFORE removing the cable and mark it on the driver, it's just too easy to forget.

2) Don't apply too much heat to the driver or you'll toast it. No more than a couple of seconds (at a time if necessary, but let it cool down for a bit before trying again).

Nov 30, 2006 at 2:26 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by oli84 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol giveaway question huh
tongue.gif

thanks, how about on the inside though? there is a short terminal, longer terminal, and one with the clamp on it which i think is the ground.

Your best bet is to use a multimeter to test continuity between each band at the tip of the plug and the individual connectors.

Dec 6, 2006 at 1:39 PM Post #5 of 5
Typically the centre, or shortest terminal will be for the tip (left channel), the slightly longer terminal will be for the ring (right channel) and the longest is the ground. But, as wisely suggested by the previous poster, check the continuity between the terminals and the connector. Many parts manufacturers publish their technical specs for electrical connectors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back