about to crack open superfi5 pros....advice???
Jun 5, 2007 at 7:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

el_matt0

1000+ Head-Fier
hey, one of the leads on my left driver of my superfi 5s became unsoldered between the driver and the plastic "receptacle" where the detachable cable inserts. if you know superfi 5 pros u will understand what i mean (hopefully)...so basically ive got a loose bit of plastic (the receptacle) that i must resolder so the tiny wires leading to the driver...problem is access...the hole in the bud housing that the receptacle fell out of is so tiny that i really cant access the wires to resolder. i ASSUMED that there must be a way to open up the plastic housing (there is a seam/crack all the way around it) but i have NO idea if its glued etc etc or what the best way to approach this is. i tried prying in various ways (thought maybe removing the clear part where the flanges attach FIRST might be the key, no luck). i know UE has good customer service, problem is ive lost the warranty card that apparently came with them. honestly i doubt UE has any type of service where i would be able to ship them in and get them fixed for a price...so basically i think its up to me to get em fixed. i honestly dont really care how they end up LOOKING, so long as the SQ is still like it used to be...my plan of action at this point is to be really careful with a dremel and shallowly cut open the housing all around the perimeter and then crazy glue it back together later....if theres ANY other course of action..someone PLEASE let me know.
PS. ive been using stock ipod earbuds since my UE's have been outta commission - PITY me, i KNOW you all do...
blink.gif

Jun 5, 2007 at 8:00 PM Post #2 of 6
or could any UE owners perhaps sell or lend me their warranty card (i dont THINK the headphones have serials that are linked to the cards so this would probably work no?) maybe a silly suggestion, just throwing it out there in case though

Jun 5, 2007 at 8:34 PM Post #3 of 6
k i just sent superficare@ultimateears.com ONE more email..i sent one a couple months ago but didnt even get a reply! someone referred me to a Jeanette at UE who was very helpful in their situation without a warranty card etc, but obviously i dont know HER email in specific so i tossed another one out to just the general customer service line for superfis, just explaining the break, and saying ive misplaced the warranty card but still have the original receipt from the eBay powerseller..if not...urgh..i REALLY dont want to open them up..got a strong sense of foreboding......to anyone that has sent stuff IN to UE to get fixed (assuming they REPLY to me this time!), two questions, #1, how long did it take for them to fix and get em back to you, and #2, where are they based out of, ie where did you hafta do all the shipping back and forth from? thanks alot guys

Jun 5, 2007 at 9:09 PM Post #4 of 6
Just try e-mailing them until they respond. If they just refuse to respond then crack 'em open and get to soldering. I'm sure they just glued the housing on, so some pressure in the right spots will pop it open easy (I've always used pliers to open housings, but they will more than likely leave indentions on the housing/bend it some). Use epoxy to seal it back up and then tell us how it went. That is, assuming you can't get a hold of UE or they just aren't helpful.

Jun 6, 2007 at 4:59 AM Post #6 of 6
funny what a lil nagging can get u..they promptly replied and informed me that the "warranty card" is basically bogus...with my original receipt from the ebay seller they told me theyll simply exchange them for new ones...shipped out already and should have a brand spankin new pair within a week or so! GLAD i avoided opening em up..SO glad...lol. thanks for the help though guys

Users who are viewing this thread

Back