About to convert 500 CD's to digital - Suggestions on best software to listen to music?
Dec 24, 2013 at 2:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Echo Seven

New Head-Fier
I've grown less keen on apple's software and was wondering if there are any other worthwhile software suits that would let me rip, let it correctly label my music and play back and be system light.  I would like it to maybe adjust the bass a bit on the sound too.

Freeware is good, but I don't mind paying up to $30 or less if it is significantly decent.  Otherwise, I'll have to go back to Apple...

As I am doing one massive rip job of all my music, let me know if that is best done with something else, and whether I should maybe use a dedicated player.

I have a Asus Xonar STX with the Audio Technica ATH AD700x.

Dec 24, 2013 at 3:04 AM Post #2 of 12
Lots of free software listed at Majorgeeks.

Dec 24, 2013 at 4:04 AM Post #4 of 12
"one massive rip job" 
etysmile.gif

Dec 24, 2013 at 4:22 AM Post #5 of 12
Assuming you are using Windows:

http://www.dbpoweramp.com/

Best program out there and it's fast and will rip to virtually any format. They have a free one month trial.

You don't adjust the bass when you're ripping. If you want to adjust the bass, do it through EQ during playback.

For playback, try:

http://www.foobar2000.org/

It's free.

Dec 24, 2013 at 7:55 PM Post #7 of 12
EAC (Exact Audio Copy) for ripping, quodlibet for library management and playback

Dec 25, 2013 at 2:46 AM Post #8 of 12
  EAC (Exact Audio Copy) for ripping

what calaf says... I recently ripped my entire collection and after trying various ripping software EAC is the only software you should use.

I ripped over 260 CDs, the result was 3 CDs had physical scratches I had to buff out to successfully achieve and accurate rip, and one CD had a bit of a manufacturing defect (other people had trouble ripping on some drives, I tried a few PCs till one accurately ripped). Thanks to the EAC AccurateRip feature.

I use foobar for playback and to tweak tag values after ripping.

Dec 25, 2013 at 4:56 AM Post #9 of 12
Both EAC and dbpoweramp use AccurateRip technology to make sure that the lossless rips are accurate. However, dbpoweramp is much faster, and I think it's easier to use.

Now, even though they both use the same AccurateRip technology, there is always going to be someone who thinks they can hear a difference in the lossless rips created by the two, even though they are both using AccurateRip to verify the results.

I'll leave that up to the listener...

Dec 27, 2013 at 7:50 AM Post #11 of 12
I personally use http://www.dbpoweramp.com/ myself, as it is so straight forward to use!... oh and the quality is spot on :) Also the tagging is very good and you can choose from like 4 different library's to suit what you like.

JRiver for playing - excellent audio playing software, can be had for around $30 I believe :)  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back