about to buy the little dot mkII...questions
Mar 3, 2008 at 5:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

fatman711

Member of the Trade: JMoney Audio
About to buy this amp. Will it go well with Grados? I am upgrading from the headsix portable amp.

Question about tubes and what not. Are the stock tubes good enough? Which tubes to get if the stock are crap?

What other amps are better in close to this price range? Doesn't have to be tubes

I see that it is a preamp what does this mean? I just want something to connect from my line out on my ipod to the amp.

thanks

Mar 3, 2008 at 6:51 PM Post #3 of 8
MKII is a nice entry-level tube amp. I have had mine for less than a week and it has been great. Shipping was phenomenal; six days from order to my front door. I interfaced a Cowon X5L DAP, turntable with RIAA phono pre-amp and my iBasso D1 using the USB/DAC from a computer.

Stock tubes meet my needs for now and are still many hours away from full burn in. Be sure to read Penchum's review of the LD MKII to get a much clearer picture of what you are getting into. Yes, the thread is long, but you can pick up some decent info if you go through them all.

You can feed the LD MKII into an external sound system using the phono outputs on the back of the device. This is the pre-amp part of the deal.

Mar 4, 2008 at 6:27 AM Post #4 of 8
how does the mkII compare to let's say a soha, pimeta or other amps.

I basically want the best amp that I can get for grados. Want to spend ~$200 shipped.

Mar 5, 2008 at 5:37 PM Post #6 of 8
I can't wait to hear from you!

How does the MKII stack up against other DIY amps like the pimeta, soha, M^3

please let me know. Will probably only be using Grados

Mar 5, 2008 at 11:54 PM Post #7 of 8
It is just you and me, Fatman. I say by the MKII. Tubes are kinda cool; both in appearance and sound chracteristics. It is a very nice amp and the price is outstanding. Roll some tubes during or after burn in to find a combo that suits your listening needs. I am preparing my tube order this week for the impending experimental tube rolling to follow. If your money is not 'burning a hole in your pocket', perhaps you can wait for other forum members to step up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back