About to buy first on-ears.....
Mar 19, 2012 at 3:11 AM Post #2 of 5
$35, lifetime warranty, "fun" sound, lightweight, compactable, replaceable earpads..

Just get them aready.

If you don't like them, return them, but you all but can't go wrong with these as starter headphones.

I use and love mine. They're not perfect nor are they end-all, be-all headphones but for $35 with lifetime warranty, they don't have to be.

Mar 19, 2012 at 3:24 AM Post #3 of 5
Imo the $13 JVC HAS160 sounds better than the Portapro. I have had the Portapro for over 10 years, and the HAS160 for a few months. The bass on the Portapro is poorly controlled. The HAS160 sounds very neutral. If you want a warmer headphone, look at the open Sennheiser PX100II, or the closed JVC HAS650. While the JVC HAS160 is closed, it doesn't offer much isoolation.

Apr 5, 2012 at 1:17 AM Post #4 of 5
I second the JVC "Flats" HA-160. Very neutral and accurate sound. They're the best headphones I've ever heard as far as accuracy. I only wish their pros could be transferred to a full size model for bigger soundstage, comfort, and isolation.

Apr 5, 2012 at 1:29 AM Post #5 of 5

Quote:
I second the JVC "Flats" HA-160. Very neutral and accurate sound. They're the best headphones I've ever heard as far as accuracy. I only wish their pros could be transferred to a full size model for bigger soundstage, comfort, and isolation.

The Sony V6 is what you are looking for. My V6 is 24 years old and works fine, however I did need to replace the earpads. It looks like the price is coming back down. It was $65 last fall, then surged to $150 early this year due to a shortage of them. Now it is back under $80. I think J&R has it for $80 now, but some places might have it even cheaper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back