About to buy e3c's, right decision?
Sep 28, 2005 at 5:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

DJShadow

1000+ Head-Fier
I'm about to purchase a pair of shure e3c's soon and I need to know if i'm making a good decision.

My crappy ex71's have just suddenly disentegrated and wasn't completely satisfied with the mush coming into my ears which somewhat resembled music.

Anyway, after months of lurking on these forums and reading some reviews, I've come to the conclusion that the e3c's would be the best IEM's as I can get them for £75.

I listen to rock (usually classic rock), rap, hip hop, trip hop, drum & bass, turntableism, funk, a bit of jazz and lots of electronica type music. I'm gonna be sourcing the e3c's through a Sony HD3 and I don't ever intend to use an amp.

How much better and what will the differences be from the ex71?

Am I making good choice? I'll particularly like to hear from those who have used the e3c extensively.

Sep 28, 2005 at 5:46 PM Post #3 of 12
Hi,

I have used them for nearly a year and I listen nearly daily.
The shure e3 are wrt to the sony much better although in first instance you will find them lacking in the bass. But that is highly compensated by the much clearer and open mid and high.

I am presently selling mine due to upgrading.

Rgds.

Sep 28, 2005 at 6:32 PM Post #4 of 12
Wahey! Someone actually replied!

Thanks for your feedback, it was exactly what I had in mind on the transition from ex71 to e3c.

What is it like putting them into your ear? Is it as easy as the ex71 to place? I've read that you need to pull your outer ear upwards and outwards in order to 'straighten' your ear canal. Is this true? Could you also comment on the durability as I'm going be using these everyday, everywhere which leads me to the sound isolation. Just how good is it compared to the ex71?

More info would be greatly appreciated.

Sep 28, 2005 at 6:36 PM Post #5 of 12
they seem durable to me, and i would not say that they are lacking in bass at all if you have an EQ
wink.gif
depending on the tips you use, insertion can be pretty easy and they should be pretty comfortable.

Sep 28, 2005 at 6:40 PM Post #6 of 12
Isolation is approximately twice as good (subjectively) when using the foams or the optional tri-flanges. With the flex sleeves, it's slightly better than the Sony's.

Bass is definitely going to be two steps backward compared to the 71, and you'll find the treble smoother and laid back (way too laid back IMO). The mids stand out like crazy, and you pay for that in the way of a bit of a hard sound (recessed treble and absence of deep bass)

Durability should be better than the Sony's, much thicker cable. Use the very nice case it comes with.

Putting them in your ear and pulling them out definitely requires some effort, as you are basically inserting them into your ear canal. It takes some practice to really get right....after many tries, you'll get the hang of it.

Sep 28, 2005 at 7:06 PM Post #7 of 12
Thanks people for the replies. Could you be more specific on the isolation? I mean would you be able to hear people talking a bit, slightly muffled voices or not hear them at all?

One other thing I forgot to ask was the microphonics (if that's the correct terminology)-when I'm walking with the ex71 all I can hear is my footsteps pounding away, drowning out the music, as well when I move my head around.

And warpdriver, I assume you're not fond of the e3c?

Sep 28, 2005 at 7:13 PM Post #8 of 12
No I didn't like them at all. I like hearing the treble and the Shures reduce the treble levels to an amount which I consider unrealistic.

But don't let me dissaude you, decide for yourself once you get them. Some people who seem to be overly treble sensitive love them, but I found them too mid-forward sounding.

You'll still be able to hear voices, but if a person is standing about 4-5 feet from you and talking at normal volume even with no music playing, you may not be able to understand them. There is no headphone which will block out all noise. Specifically, the Shure is rated anywhere from 20 to 30+dB reduction in noise, so any sound you hear will sound will about 1/4 to 1/8 as loud as before. The Sony's reduce outside noise to about 1/2 as loud in my ears. With the soft flex sleeves, the noise reduction is only slightly better than the Sony's. With music playing at a safe (moderate) level, I could not hear the phone ringing on my desk 1 foot away.

In terms of microphonics, they are no better than the Sony's, but the behind the ear looping helps with that a lot.

Sep 28, 2005 at 7:25 PM Post #10 of 12
Very informative post there warpdriver, thanks. I bloody hope I will like the sound now! I'll give some opinions that are not of the superior head-fi intellect, once I receive them.

Sep 28, 2005 at 9:34 PM Post #11 of 12
I've been using E3c intensively as an extension of myself for a lot of months and I can't remember any feeling but happiness.

Congratulations in your decision. I've enjoying the mid range texture of that IEMS, a great bass and a present highs, not as liquid as E4, but fantastic at all.

Get a proper seal and let them flow. Yellow foams are bests. They dont need too much EQ. In fact, I've never EQ'ed my E3. With them, I discovered the IEM world and my only worry was not smile like a dumb in the bus or train.

Also, let yourself get adapted to its sound. Stay cool the firsts weeks about judgin' them.

Now I have the Westone UM2. Sometimes I miss them because the enormeus but wild UM2's sound always need to be tweaked.

Nov 2, 2005 at 10:08 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJShadow
I'm about to purchase a pair of shure e3c's soon and I need to know if i'm making a good decision.

My crappy ex71's have just suddenly disentegrated and wasn't completely satisfied with the mush coming into my ears which somewhat resembled music.

Anyway, after months of lurking on these forums and reading some reviews, I've come to the conclusion that the e3c's would be the best IEM's as I can get them for £75.

I listen to rock (usually classic rock), rap, hip hop, trip hop, drum & bass, turntableism, funk, a bit of jazz and lots of electronica type music. I'm gonna be sourcing the e3c's through a Sony HD3 and I don't ever intend to use an amp.

How much better and what will the differences be from the ex71?

Am I making good choice? I'll particularly like to hear from those who have used the e3c extensively.

E3c, for £75? In the UK? Where on earth?? Gotta be ebay, surely??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back