About to buy a Lunchbox...some ?'s
Nov 14, 2006 at 8:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Mrvile

Headphoneus Supremus
Few things before I pull the trigger:

This will be my first tube amp. I'm going with this amp because it is the cheapest tube amp you can get with such rave reviews. I don't really want to pass this one up. So, any general tube advice?

Also, I'll be using it with my K501's. I know that the Lunchbox is designed for high impedence phones only (*>150ohm), but I plan to use an attenuator or resistor to "boost" the impendence. Is this a terribly bad idea? Now I know people have had good experience with this amp paired with the low 32ohm RS-1's and an attenuator, so I know it's not impossible. Also, do these attenuators or resistors come in like certain "resistance" ratings? Like can I specifically pick what level of resistance I want? Lot of questions...so TIA

Oh and one more stupid question...Craig told me he had them in stock, so I asked him if he had any specific colors (I remember seeing black ones a while back). I think he might've responded, but his email went to my bulk folder which I accidentally emptied impulsively. I don't want to keep bothering him about it (this is the second time it has happened) so does anyone here know what colors he has?

Thanks again!

Nov 15, 2006 at 6:58 PM Post #3 of 9
Do you guys know if Craig will sell to Canada? I didn't get any response from him
rolleyes.gif
Thanks.

Ray

Nov 15, 2006 at 7:22 PM Post #4 of 9
He only has white now, he'll be getting another shipment delivered in December, and he has no clue what colors they'll be. They just send him batches of them I guess. He won't special order either I don't think.

Nov 15, 2006 at 10:20 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrvile
Craig told me he had them in stock

Does he have a website? I just loved the white one on a pic in this forum.

Nov 15, 2006 at 10:39 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by procreate
Does he have a website? I just loved the white one on a pic in this forum.

Well Eddie Current has a website here: http://www.eddiecurrent.com/ but you won't find anything there about the Lunchbox. You'll have to email Craig directly at: cuthus@charter.net to order.

Nov 15, 2006 at 11:09 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrvile
Well Eddie Current has a website here: http://www.eddiecurrent.com/ but you won't find anything there about the Lunchbox. You'll have to email Craig directly at: cuthus@charter.net to order.

Ah, that explains it then. Can you tell me how much they go for?

Nov 16, 2006 at 12:18 AM Post #8 of 9
I emailed him a while back, well a few weeks ago, and they are $160. Good price for an amp that is supposed to be pretty good sounding. It has my curiosity up. There wouldn't be much tube rolling but who knows?

Nov 16, 2006 at 12:27 AM Post #9 of 9
Well, I just sent the payment so I hope to receive it in a few days.

I am getting this amp as my main amp and probably won't do anymore upgrades for a while. The reason I chose this one over offerings such as the LD2++ and the 708B or whatever it is is because the Lunchbox seems to be a reliable amp that comes with pretty good stock tubes, whereas I'd have to replace the tubes of the Chinese models to get them sounding decent.

I just shipped my MP3 player back to the manufacturer to get the battery replaced before the warranty runs out and I probably won't get it back before the amp arrives so...I don't know what I'm going to do!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back