About to Bite the Bullet:Denon D1001
Feb 28, 2009 at 7:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

fghtffyrobesity

100+ Head-Fier
After a couple months of looking into my first pair of real headphones, I have decided on the Denon AH D1001 headphones.

But, before I do so, I was wondering if there is anything that anyone would like to say about them, just incase I missed something about them.

Thanks
atsmile.gif

Feb 28, 2009 at 7:38 PM Post #2 of 34
Everything I've heard sounds great about them, getting a pair for my best friend soon. I'm a little worried about their soundstage though.

Just be sure to post up your own impressions!

Feb 28, 2009 at 7:46 PM Post #4 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosoupforyou /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Everything I've heard sounds great about them, getting a pair for my best friend soon. I'm a little worried about their soundstage though.

Just be sure to post up your own impressions!

I was looking into a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-ES7 headphones too, but after reading [Skylab's 5 sub-$150 sealed headphone compared it really helped me decide that the ES7's weren't for me. Not to mention that I wear glasses, and the already strong clamping pressure of the ES7's would surely be painful for me.

Also, =233&graphID[]=163]HeadRoom's D1001 vs ES7 frequency response chart was pretty helpful as well

Feb 28, 2009 at 7:57 PM Post #5 of 34
They're fantastic headphones. They don't have much of a soundstage. Their comfort is just unsurpassed. Great punchy bass. Although they're one of the best cans you'll find unamped, they really clean up with a little added power from an amp. An amp brings them forward and clears them up a bit. And you don't need anything more than a FiiO E5 to do it.

Feb 28, 2009 at 8:04 PM Post #6 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by fjrabon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They're fantastic headphones. They don't have much of a soundstage. Their comfort is just unsurpassed. Great punchy bass. Although they're one of the best cans you'll find unamped, they really clean up with a little added power from an amp. An amp brings them forward and clears them up a bit. And you don't need anything more than a FiiO E5 to do it.

Thanks for posting that. I forgot to mention that I was thinking of purchasing an E5 once I get my next paycheck.

Are they very detailed headphones?

Feb 28, 2009 at 8:14 PM Post #7 of 34
I wouldn't call them "very detailed". They're not as detailed as Grados, for a point of reference. A FiiO E5 improves their detail a good bit though, IMHO. They're definitely not as detailed as the similarly priced ATH AD700. But its hard to do both full bass and amazing detail in this price range, or any price range for that matter. You aren't going to beat their fullness at this price range and their clarity and detail are good at this price range, its just not as good as the other two phones they typically are running up against, the SR80 and the AD700, in this price range.

However, if you haven't tried anything like this before, these will be by far, the most detailed headphones you've ever tried. They're much more detailed than 99% of home speaker systems you'll hear out there.

Feb 28, 2009 at 8:23 PM Post #8 of 34
I looked into the AD700's, but they just seem wayyy too big for portable use.

Right now I have been using my cheap $20 Skullcandy IEM's (i know, i know, but i bought them before I knew anything about quality) so I'm sure I will be blown away by these Denon's.

Looks like I will be purchasing them tonight.

Thanks for the help (especially fjrabon)

Mar 1, 2009 at 2:21 AM Post #10 of 34
They are great headphones
smily_headphones1.gif
I love mine for portable use. Thumbs up from me!

Mar 1, 2009 at 2:29 AM Post #11 of 34
In my experience, you can get the drastically cheaper from amazon than headroom.

edit: also, I didn't even realized that headroom sold the D1001.

2nd edit: I am assuming you got them from the B-stock section of headroom. Nice. I normally check there every day.

Mar 1, 2009 at 2:33 AM Post #12 of 34
They sell for $150 on amazon. I picked mine up for $99.99 w/ shipping at headroom. Not only did I getting cheaper but I'm also supporting a site which provides some quality research
biggrin.gif

Mar 1, 2009 at 3:06 AM Post #14 of 34
enjoy them! I was calculating my amazon prime free shipping into my calculus for them. I forget not everybody has that.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 1, 2009 at 3:08 AM Post #15 of 34
Sorry to hijack this thread for one question, but are the Denon 2000's as comfortable as the 1001's?

I hope you enjoy your 1001's, fghtffyrobesity! Picking up a pair for my friend tomorrow for $99 as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back