About these amps...
Jan 31, 2008 at 1:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

elmo541992

New Head-Fier
Hey, I'm still kinda new here, and I'm still learning. Now, what and where exactly is a headphone amp used for? I'm concidering buying senn HD280's, with which I will use mostly with my ipod touch, and listening to primarily metal, some rock and techno. Should I get one, if so what should I get, and it would need to be portable. Thanks in advance!!

~max

Jan 31, 2008 at 11:11 PM Post #3 of 4
What is it: A headphone amplifier essentially provides power to your headphones - more power than is usually given with built-in amps in portable devices or off of the "phone-out" on receivers.

Where it is used: anywhere you want. Portable amps can go anywhere, but desktop amps cannot. They range widely in size/portability/etc, so depending on the model it can be used just about anywhere you want to use your phones.

Just a note: For one, the HD280's from my experience don't benefit much, if at all, from amping. Also, if you're listening to metal/techno, you may be disappointed with the bass response from HD280's without equalizing or modding them somehow. In the same-ish price range I would recommend beyerdynamic DT-231's, which have a very nice and full bass response IMO. The DT-231's don't seem to benefit much from amping either, however.

Feb 1, 2008 at 12:14 AM Post #4 of 4
I dont think you would need an amp first of all. If you are going to get a line out from your DAP then an amp makes sense cos you need volume control. But otherwise, garbage in = garbage out. You will just be amplifying the output of the ipod, and I am pretty sure they can drive the HD280 plenty loud.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back