About the HeadRoom's Total Bithead amp
Apr 17, 2007 at 2:17 AM Post #16 of 61
DAC, like people have already said is a digital to analog converter. While most CD-players have their own DAC, it may still be worthwhile to have an external DAC if it is just a cheap CD-player.

If you're only looking for an amp rather than a DAC/amp combo, you'd be better off with a dedicated amp unit. HD650...I think there were quite a few threads about amps that sound good with the HD650. I just received my HD580 and I think they're really good with my tube amp.

Apr 17, 2007 at 3:06 AM Post #17 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by rockbottom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DAC, like people have already said is a digital to analog converter. While most CD-players have their own DAC, it may still be worthwhile to have an external DAC if it is just a cheap CD-player.

If you're only looking for an amp rather than a DAC/amp combo, you'd be better off with a dedicated amp unit. HD650...I think there were quite a few threads about amps that sound good with the HD650. I just received my HD580 and I think they're really good with my tube amp.

External DAC would not be useful if that DAC is Bithead, since no CDP has USB output =]

Apr 17, 2007 at 6:04 AM Post #18 of 61
I'm surprised that this thread has gone on this long without someone asking the basic questions... Wiza, what are you planning on using your setup for? If you are building a home system (to be used with your CD player at home, for example), then there are better stationary amps (amps that plug into a outlet) for your money than the BitHead (it is afterall designed to conserve battery life). On the other hand, if you are building a on-the-go system, then the HD650 seems an odd choice, being so cumbersome and power-hungry. Also, what types of music do you listen to? The HD650 is best for classical music while there might be better choices of headphones for other genre of music (a lot of folks prefer Grado for rock music, for example).

Welcome to head-fi. Sorry about your wallet.
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 17, 2007 at 6:12 AM Post #19 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wiza_Gab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I was going for the Bithead mostly because it normally cost $850 for everything and the package deal is $599 but I may look about what you said.

The $850 figure is the MSRP price, and as such is very inflated over the normal 'market' price. That's just the way audio equipment is. The market price for a new pair of HD650 is closer to $300 rather than $550 or whatever its MSRP is. At $599(+S&H) you are essentially paying $300 for the bithead, and that's a pretty bad deal IMHO. There are tons of $300 home (stationary) amps that will blow the bithead out of the water. Nay, there are tons of $300 portable amps that are leagues beyond the bithead. Only get the bithead if you are going to use it with a laptop (because of its USB DAC), otherwise you won't be getting your money's worth.

Apr 17, 2007 at 11:17 AM Post #20 of 61
Ok first i want to use it EXCLUSIVELY for my home system ( for my cd player and maybe my computer).

Secondly, I really don't listen to any classical music, well I'm not into hard-rock style too. I listen to electronic music, progressive rock, experimental music, world music (jazz-style and arabic) and hip-hop/rap!

So what do you have for me ? :p Oh and the Grado looks uncomfortable...^^

Thanks for the welcome.

Apr 17, 2007 at 7:05 PM Post #21 of 61
Bump!

Apr 17, 2007 at 7:58 PM Post #22 of 61
If you don't mind the size, you might want to take a look at the EMU 0404 USB with Sennheiser HD580 and Alessandro MS1. All can be bought for < $450 and would make a great setup for all types of music, IMO.

Apr 17, 2007 at 8:09 PM Post #23 of 61
On which website can I buy all of that ?

Apr 17, 2007 at 8:12 PM Post #24 of 61
If I were in your shoes and wanted to spend around $600 and was looking at an HD650...assuming you like the Sennheiser sound signature.

I would get a Corda Aria (Amp and a DAC) for $460 new or around $360 used and a pair of Sennheiser HD580 for $130-$140. Now THAT would be getting the most for your money.

Quote:

Ok first i want to use it EXCLUSIVELY for my home system ( for my cd player and maybe my computer).

Secondly, I really don't listen to any classical music, well I'm not into hard-rock style too. I listen to electronic music, progressive rock, experimental music, world music (jazz-style and arabic) and hip-hop/rap!

So what do you have for me ? :p Oh and the Grado looks uncomfortable...^^

Thanks for the welcome.

Apr 17, 2007 at 8:21 PM Post #25 of 61
Ok so it's important to spend that much money on the amp and not that much on the headphones ?

And my current headphones are these:
http://www.sennheiserusa.com/newsite...transid=005175
And I like the sound signature but I never heard some Grados.

Oh and the HD595 are not better than HD580 ?

Apr 17, 2007 at 8:54 PM Post #26 of 61
well the corda aria saves you from having to spend more money on a DAC later to use your computer. Amps do make a huge difference. The corda aria would be a great amp/dac and save you from upgrade-itus for a while.

anyway welcome to head-fi sorry about your wallet.

Apr 17, 2007 at 8:58 PM Post #27 of 61
Alright, and do you have any website to get good price for this Corda Aria ?
And I think I will take it with a HD 595 or a HD 600.

Apr 17, 2007 at 10:14 PM Post #29 of 61
Well I'll search, thank you for your help. And about how much price a cd player begins to be good ? (i don't want crazy audiophile stuff at $600)

Apr 17, 2007 at 10:45 PM Post #30 of 61
Quote:

Read these threads...
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...=%24500+system

And then start a new thread with your budget, your music preference, and what do you want the system to do. It also helps to know what model your CD player is, as well as which sound card is in your computer.
wink.gif

Quote:

On which website can I buy all of that ?

Best price for headphones tend to be on Ebay and Amazon, amps are mostly sold direct from manufacturers. If you're looking for value, check the FS forums here for used stuff. A lot of us, being audiophiles, take very good care of the equipment, so buying used is not too risky and it's the best way to maximize your value.

Quote:

Ok so it's important to spend that much money on the amp and not that much on the headphones ? Oh and the HD595 are not better than HD580 ?

It's actually more important to spend money on headphones than on amps. The headphone is what makes the sound, amps just drive it, in fact, amps sound more or less the same to normal people. The 595 and the 580 are not the same line of headphones, the 595 is the bigger brother of the 555 while the 580 is the older version of the 600 which in turn is the older version of the 650. That means the 580 will sound very silimar to the 650 while the 595 has a completely different sound sig. The 580 are recommended here a lot these days because for various reasons there is a lot of downward pressure on its price and as the market price stands now ($125, vs. HD595 at $210) the HD580 is the best value by far of the top Senn line.

As far as which headphone to get, you should read the reviews on HeadRoom (DT880, AKG701), new people tend to get stuck on the Senns (probably because it's the first thing you see on HeadRoom's list), but like others have mentioned, the HD650 isn't really suited for rock and pop music. You don't really need to look beyond HeadRoom's list for proper headphones to buy, since most of what's good is already on the list and what's not on the list are either not good enough or too exotic (expensive) for beginners anyway. A notable exception to that rule of thumb is the Alexandro series of headphones (MS1, MS2i), but those are expensive when bought new and are way over-valued in the used market these days anyway.

Quote:

Well I'll search, thank you for your help. And about how much price a cd player begins to be good ? (i don't want crazy audiophile stuff at $600)

Since you already have a CD player (presumably with digital output), I would look for a DAC and connect it to your CD player. You'll need to buy an extra digital cable going that route, but the flexibility in upgrade path is worth it. Digital audio components become obsolete (or go out of fashion) every three to five years, so it's easier (cheaper) in the long run to buy a new DAC than to replace a CD player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back