About PSB m4u 4
Oct 5, 2021 at 8:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

*cihan*

New Head-Fier
Does anyone use these in ears? Anyone to compare these with other in ears? I can get a pair used for 45 USD. I have Beyerdynamic Byron. I used AKG K612 PRO and AKG sextett before and I like AKG sound. But I don't mind some more bass unless it's bloated at certain frequencies.

Oct 6, 2021 at 6:31 AM Post #2 of 10
I have a pair of those. They are a bit dated when you compare to newer iems. need power. Isolate quite well, have low profile. Decent soundstage and general balance. Not outstanding but good :)

Oct 6, 2021 at 6:36 AM Post #3 of 10
I have a pair of those. They are a bit dated when you compare to newer iems. need power. Isolate quite well, have low profile. Decent soundstage and general balance. Not outstanding but good :)
There are people comparing it with Shure SE 425. So I wonder if it can cope with some other iems. I can get them 45 USD used. I have Beyerdynamic Byron. So I wonder if it's going to be an upgrade over Byrons.

Oct 6, 2021 at 11:19 AM Post #5 of 10
I would expect it to be better than Byron and really suprised og they were not :)
I expect the same since price range is different. On the other hand m4u 4 is not a common in ear. So maybe it doesn't offer enough for its price. But many people say the opposite and compare with more expensive models. I'm totally confused.)

Oct 6, 2021 at 12:45 PM Post #6 of 10
That is a great price also in 2021! Unfortunately, only the cable included with the PSB fits the M4U4 - there are none that fit from other manufacturers. A kind of mini MMCX. The sound is not neutral but with a lot of bass! But you will already know that.
I had this model back then and thought it was much better than the SE215 - in all disciplines

Oct 6, 2021 at 12:57 PM Post #7 of 10
That is a great price also in 2021! Unfortunately, only the cable included with the PSB fits the M4U4 - there are none that fit from other manufacturers. A kind of mini MMCX. The sound is not neutral but with a lot of bass! But you will already know that.
I had this model back then and thought it was much better than the SE215 - in all disciplines well, I guess this

I had this model back then and thought it was much better than the SE215 - in all disciplines
I think there's a problem with the fitting of this in ear. At least it doesn't fit well universally for most of the people. Some people say it's bass shy and some say it has more bass than they desire.) some say bass is loose and some say it's tight.)
I'll get both cables. I think I'll be happy with it and it will be some upgrade after Byrons. In fact I like AKG k612 pro sound a lot and that would be great if I found that sound and separation with in ears not costing a fortune.

Oct 13, 2021 at 6:39 AM Post #8 of 10
I have them and I like the sound of them. No mid bass bleeding. Bassy but not in all tracks. I feel like they stay loyal to the recording. Good recordings always sound right to me. I also never hear mid bass hump while listening speech as I heard on Beyerdynamic Byron. Highs aren't extended much so I can listen to them for extended time. Fitting is fine and isolates much better than Byron. Almost no mucrophonics, cable is quality. I still didn't try it with silicone tips but sounds good already with foam tips. I'm overall happy with them for what I paid. I used to try them with both LG v20 and Hidizs ap100. Hidizs sounds warmer. Detail used to seem to be the same to me but I cannot really decide since the ambience was noisy. It doesn't trigger high impedance mode on LG v20 since they are 16 ohms. But I almost never go beyond 60 while listening while LG v20 has 75 levels and higher levels increase volume much more. So they sound enough without amplification however bass could be improved with amping but I haven't tried.
Thanks a lot for your help.)

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2022 at 12:26 PM Post #9 of 10
I'm sorry I'm late, I also have these PSBs, I like them a lot, they're not amazing, but they do the job well, at high volumes I think they do distort, so I listen to them at low, medium levels.

Regarding the cable, after several years, this is how they look, stiff and hard, I think the cable is the worst part of the product, it tends to fail due to the movement of the jack connected to the cable.

YAJBpRC.jpg

Try contacting PSB USA via email for cable replacement and their most indifferent response, something like:

"Please contact one of our authorized dealers."

I was looking for something similar without success, although I saw this manufacturer give cable spare parts for their iems that have to do with PSB, "MEE audio, pro6 cable"

YzyO1gh.jpg

This is the input plug for the cable to the iem:

j9MRNVs.jpg

The cable entry connections look similar.

cnBsNgw.jpg

ejctNUh.jpg

AND.....

They work very well, I have not detected any significant change in the sound, very good for a new replacement and extend them a few more years.

DjYG9VF.jpg

8KpQAFn.jpg

I hope this post is useful for the few who have this iem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back