About Preamp.
Jul 23, 2005 at 2:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

H5N1

Head-Fier
So I've seen many for you drive you cans with the XLR out of preamps. So technically one can drive one's cans with the RCA out of a preamp, right?

Thanks
rs1smile.gif

Jul 23, 2005 at 3:13 AM Post #2 of 4
connected to a headphone amp, yes. but why run through the preamp if you can run direct from the source to the headphone amp? headphones need the preamp headphone jack if i am not mistaken.

Jul 23, 2005 at 3:33 AM Post #3 of 4
the source has to have xlr out puts to run to the preamps xlr inputs. then you have to run the preamps xlr outputs to an amp with xlr inputs & xlr outputs to the balanced headphones. it is possible if you preamp is actually an integrated amp not just a preamp. a preamp feeds an amp which is where the power is supplied. but why run through an integrated amp if you can run directly from the source to the headphone amp assuming your source has xlr balanced outputs? many balanced amps will have too much power output & could damage headphones. they are intended for speakers & headphone speakers are very small & could be destroyed. headphones need the preamps headphone jack to be powered. that will provide amplification for your headphones. the preamp is a control box without amplification except to the headphone jack. at least this is my experience as limited as it is.

Jul 25, 2005 at 8:11 AM Post #4 of 4
Maybe, but there are other issues. Like the preamp has to be strong enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back