About polarity of power cord
Oct 5, 2002 at 11:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

yongson

New Head-Fier
Last week, I got the JMT's meta42. It's fantastic. The sound, the build, every thing is so good! JMT, thanks!
Now, I am waiting the power supply. Maybe I have to connect the power cord by myself, however, I am so ignorant about it. I bought a power cord which has three lines: white, black and green. Who can tell me which one is for positive, negative and ground. The Radioshack's saleman was not sure. By the way, mentioning to the electrical outlet, I know the upper one is ground, then which one is positive, the left or right?
Thank!
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 6, 2002 at 1:26 AM Post #2 of 9
You should e-mail JMT before you do anything like that. Usually the Meta42 is a battery amp and will need a power supply, and would not plug directly into the wall (at least not without burning up in a spectacular way).

Oct 6, 2002 at 1:38 AM Post #3 of 9
Thanks! Budgie. Actually, I asked JMT about the power supply, he told me it is good, and he also added the dc jack in my meta42. In fact, I am using another power supply to power my meta42, however, that one came from my Archos Recorder, the output is only 9v(+-). The arriving one is a 16v(+-) Acopan linear regulated, the quality should be much better.

Oct 7, 2002 at 12:36 AM Post #4 of 9
Okay, now I see! The power cord wires- The black wire is line, the white wire is neutral, and the green is ground. In the outlet, it will depend on which way the electrician installed the outlet as to left and right. However, since a three prong cord will always only plug in one way, you don't have to worry about it, but my outlets have the two blades on the top,one on the left one right, and the ground under them in the middle. With that arrangement the line is on the right, neutral is on the left. Does that help?

Oct 7, 2002 at 3:50 AM Post #5 of 9
Sure! Budgie, thanks again! Now I get it. Fortunately, I asked here, the RS salesman gave me the wrong information: White--line, black---neutral. Line means input, which I should connect to the positive connector, right?

Oct 7, 2002 at 10:57 PM Post #6 of 9
Yes, "line" is the one you would connect to the input. It is a little confusing because AC voltage really does not have a plus or minus. In the wiring of a plug or outlet you have three wires. One is the ac "hot" and the black wire is the one the electrical code says is to be hot. The other two wires, white and green acctually are connected togther in the electrical breaker panel. If you measure from either of these wires to the black wire you will find 110 to 120 volts ac. here is a diagram-

http://www.equitech.com/images/whatis2.gif

Oct 9, 2002 at 4:59 PM Post #7 of 9
Two things everyone should have:

1) AC plug circuit test, at Radio Shack or home improvement stores. Just a few bucks. Plugs into ac outlet and has led's to tell you if everything is ok.

2) Same type of thing as above, but for telephone jacks.

Oct 10, 2002 at 1:59 PM Post #9 of 9
yongson,

in my experience, it's very important to have proper AC polarity not only in regard to electrical operation but in regard to musical performance. The following site at Galen Carol Audio describes this in greater detail. Every audio component will work fine if one exchanges the line/hot phase and the neutral phase but the sound changes considerably. With proper AC polarity, everything ought to become more relaxed, musical, with more air around instruments, better low-level detail and more ambience information. It's the cheapest power supply tweak of them all and not too many people are aware of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back