About my Beyers DT-231 Pro
Jul 28, 2004 at 12:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Moonwalker

100+ Head-Fier
Hi everyone!

I'm using my pair for some 5 months now, and have been quite satisfied with them. Soundwise, they are quite acceptable. First impession i've got from them on my Sony MD MZ-R30 was the minute lack of midrange - voices seemed quite distant. Bass was not boomy, and the treble, although sharp, were not peaky and quite smooth and extended. Using them on my home setup, Samsung E234 DVD player, and Creek 11SE amplifier, the bass became a lot more present, mids are still on the insufficient side, though less than unamped, and extension of the treble was improved a tiny! bit, smoothness was even greater. But the lack of mids and soft voices forced me to turn the volume knob farther clockwise, and from some volume level, the cups began to 'colorize' the overall sound. In acceptable musical levels, the coloration was nearly nonexistant, but sometimes in louder pieces, became quite perceptible.

So I decided to make a small mod to them using thechniques from Ian Meier's site. I cut two pieces of very soft foam, using exacto knife. The dimensions are 45x45x20mm. I opened the cups, there are just 3 small screws under the replaceable pads, and put one piece under each driver magnet assembly.

Sound is less bassy now, albeit only by a bit, and mids are more even with the rest of the spectra. Trebles are largely unaffected by the mod. But most evident was the loss of coloration at higher levels! I do no longer notice the resonance of the small plastic enclosure. Eseential to this IMHO is to put the foam that it fills the free space between magnet and rear side if the cup. By measuring the phones at about 100 dB, there was trace of 2nd harmonics, larger trace of third one, and significant fifth harmonics in the upper mids and lower treble. Also, there was large resonance at 250-400 Hz probably resonant frequence of the cup itself. Now after the mod, theres a small 2nd harmonics trace, a bit bigger 3rd one, and none of the fifth nor the bass distortion is present.

To my ears, they sound more closed now, but almost a class better than original. Best of all, I do not recognize the plastic cups at all, the sound seems to come from space near my ears, not from small driver in small cavity on the ear.

Try it, you can always take that step back and thendecide what's better for you.

PS: I think these phones (DT231) are very underrated, and actually they have very quality sound, and the drivers themselves are of high quality. Only minor differences are between L and R channels, and that is obtained without any matching from the manufacturer, Beyerdynamic. No wonder (for me) Headroom gave them five stars (phones).
biggrin.gif

Please add comments if you have any experience with them, thanks.

Moonwalker

Jul 29, 2004 at 10:05 PM Post #3 of 23
Interesting mod, Moonwalker. Maybe something to try...but my girlfriend are using them all the time... :wink:

And I agree, the DT231 are a highly underrated headphone. I compared the Senn HD497 and the DT231. The Beyer just destroyed the Senn in every way. This was with both powered by the Ear++ tube amp.

Maybe it's the looks that turn people off?

Too bad. For the price... the DT231 is one of best, if not THE best.

Nov 4, 2004 at 3:43 PM Post #4 of 23
Hi guys!

I couldn't agree more, yes, they're nice, great sounding, and very cheap for the performance they offer. Sure, the hi-end cans are better, but not 5 times or like that. I can use them entire evening - say 4 hours with breaks, and they sound liquid, lively and so natural...

Moonwalker

Dec 13, 2004 at 1:05 AM Post #6 of 23
I had the 231's for a year or two, and while they sounded good, they just weren't that comfortable for me. Part of the reason is I don't like closed cans that sit on my ears rather than around them, and I don't care for "cupped" headphones that sit on my ears. If a headphone is going to sit on my ears, I'd rather have flat pads.

-Keith

Dec 13, 2004 at 1:55 AM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by meithkiller
I had the 231's for a year or two, and while they sounded good, they just weren't that comfortable for me. Part of the reason is I don't like closed cans that sit on my ears rather than around them, and I don't care for "cupped" headphones that sit on my ears. If a headphone is going to sit on my ears, I'd rather have flat pads.

-Keith

They were pretty comfortable for me because they went around my ears. I guess it's something to consider if you have bigger ears.

Feb 5, 2005 at 7:11 PM Post #8 of 23
I have these phones over 2 years and I can't fault them. They sound good to me and are like a lot of the Beyer Dynamic products they are bullet proof.
I give them the thumbs up for an inexpensive set of phones!!!
280smile.gif

Feb 5, 2005 at 9:27 PM Post #9 of 23
I agree with the original poster. I think the DT-231s are a really good buy. A couple of cautions. They need some power to run right. They sound awful straight out of the jack on our pc (or should I say, our PC sound card sounds awful?) But with a good headphone amp in between they start to sound really good.

Second caution. The midrange is definitly a little cool and recessed. We find the bass good, and the treble pretty nice. But the mids need all the help they can get, so again feed them with a good little heaphone amp.

Third caution: they don't image as well as some of the Senn's, and certainly no where in the ballpark of the better AKGs like the 501s we have.

But all and all, for closed back phones, they are the best buy.

Apr 21, 2005 at 1:47 PM Post #10 of 23
Hi scanman!

The impedance is low enough for MP3 based player, sensitivity is OK, but the adjustable headband makes noises with every step you make. So if your target is room listening - that's OK, but for excersising - use other type.

Moonwlaker

Apr 21, 2005 at 4:05 PM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Moonwalker
[...], but the adjustable headband makes noises with every step you make.

I've noticed that, too. I still like 'em better than the KSC50s though.

Apr 21, 2005 at 4:13 PM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by JensL
And I agree, the DT231 are a highly underrated headphone. I compared the Senn HD497 and the DT231. The Beyer just destroyed the Senn in every way. This was with both powered by the Ear++ tube amp.

This sounds a touch funny to me -- did you even know how much the Sennheisers benefit from burning them in, particularly so the HD497 with its initially dry midrange and bassy bass?

And just btw, I don't get how could the DT231 be less popular than the HD497 if it happened to be so utterly superior. Don't you believe in 'natural selection' too?
wink.gif

[just for the record, I think the HD497 is a little better]

Apr 21, 2005 at 4:53 PM Post #13 of 23
for budget phones , i think the akg 100 is best , even better than dt231.

hd497 isn't better than dt231. Both sucks compared to akg k100

Apr 21, 2005 at 6:40 PM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea
This sounds a touch funny to me -- did you even know how much the Sennheisers benefit from burning them in, particularly so the HD497 with its initially dry midrange and bassy bass?

And just btw, I don't get how could the DT231 be less popular than the HD497 if it happened to be so utterly superior. Don't you believe in 'natural selection' too?
wink.gif

[just for the record, I think the HD497 is a little better]

Well, the HD497 I tried was fairly new, but at the end of my testperiod it had 30-40 hours on it, and it still was no match for the DT231.
I tried just about every model in the HD4x7 range, and none REALLY changed character with proper burn-in.
It's the lack of midrange that really bothers me about the HD497.
My girlfriend really despised the Sennheiser.

When I first heard the HD497, I actually thought it was quite good, but when I got to compare it to other phones on my own system, its faults became very obvious.

Also, I didn't like the HD497s pads. They're about the same size as the DT231s, but hard, plasticky and generally unpleasant for my ears.
Both phones aren't pretty, but the Beyer isn't silver...

In regards to you saying that the DT231 is less popular, I think you confuse "popularity" with "availability". The DT231 is almost non-existent in the US, which is sad.
I checked with my friend in the business, and they sell much more DT231s than HD497s, but that's here in Europe.
Also, Sennheiser unquestionably got the better known brandname. Beyerdynamic is mostly known amongst studio- and broadcastpersonell, not very known in the regular consumermarket.

If people got to directly compare the HD497 with the DT231, and had to choose one, I'm quite confident the Beyer would be preferred by more people.

Apr 21, 2005 at 7:45 PM Post #15 of 23
Uhm, actually the midrange needs a rather big amount of time to really mellow down and improve in the timbre.

Let me say that I've read a couple 'official' reviews where the HD497 and the DT231 were directly compared -- both came out well, and there wasn't a 'winner' ... but something I clearly remember reading is that the DT231 would have a bit cold sound (lower treble emphasis?), and a bit lacking midrange as well. I thought that Headroom's response measurement confirmed this. The HD497's response looks smoother in the midrange & mostly in the lower treble, thus the more 'coherent'.

Having said that, I've never been fond of the Senn. HD4x7 series. I hated the 457, was unimpressed with the 477, and with the 497 it was a 'troubled' story. Though eventually I've gotten to like it quite a bit, arguably because the sound has radically improved after my brother kept and used it for some time.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back