? about Led Zep SQ
Jan 29, 2007 at 3:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

terriblepaulz

1000+ Head-Fier
Do Led Zep recordings have a bad reputation for SQ? Or maybe the way the CDs were mastered? I feel like I am hearing some sloppy mixes, particularly the drums (esp. cymbals). Is it me? Is it my equipment?

Jan 29, 2007 at 4:20 PM Post #2 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by terriblepaulz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do Led Zep recordings have a bad reputation for SQ? Or maybe the way the CDs were mastered? I feel like I am hearing some sloppy mixes, particularly the drums (esp. cymbals). Is it me? Is it my equipment?

They do have nasty SQ, including the DVD-A of "How the West was Won" (to be fair, that was basically a bootleg) but the 180-200 gram vinyl of em sound really nice, and worth getting if you have a vinyl rig. I was thinking of getting ZOSO on 200 gram soon.

But if you want instant Led Zep gratification from the best sounding 128compressed stuff I've heard, here you go!

http://www4.head-fi.com/forums/showt...ghlight=bonham

Jan 29, 2007 at 4:44 PM Post #3 of 30
The early 90s CD remasters (still the current versions) done by Jimmy Page (who must be nearly deaf by now) are widely hated. The early versions/first editions, many of them mastered by Barry Diament, are much better. However, no, they were never recorded especially well.

Jan 29, 2007 at 4:56 PM Post #4 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The early 90s CD remasters (still the current versions) done by Jimmy Page (who must be nearly deaf by now) are widely hated. The early versions/first editions, many of them mastered by Barry Diament, are much better. However, no, they were never recorded especially well.

What's meant to be wrong with them?

Jan 29, 2007 at 5:03 PM Post #6 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by SickMouthy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's meant to be wrong with them?

they just sound so nasal, no impact, no bass, no warmth. i intentionally do not own a single recent vintage redbook cd of Led Zep because of that, even though I love em.

Jan 29, 2007 at 10:41 PM Post #7 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
they just sound so nasal, no impact, no bass, no warmth. i intentionally do not own a single recent vintage redbook cd of Led Zep because of that, even though I love em.

I'm not a massive Zep fan but I must say that none of those things struck me about the 97 Page remasters.

Jan 29, 2007 at 11:01 PM Post #8 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by SickMouthy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not a massive Zep fan but I must say that none of those things struck me about the 97 Page remasters.

Are those the ones done up like mini-LPs? IE: LZIII has the pinwheel, etc. I'd like to know, as a local shop has almost all of them and just about anything beats the copies I have right now.

I have 1st edition Canadian vinyl pressings, but having a CD is just more versatile.

Jan 29, 2007 at 11:10 PM Post #9 of 30
These babies;

Photo549.jpg

Remastered by Jimmy Page and George Marino at Sterling Sound, released 1997 (I think) although copyright is dated as 1994 (and 1969 on the back of the booklet, which reproduces the original LP sleeve). Now like I say, I'm not a massive Zep fan, and I've never heard the vinyl, but I wouldn't say there was anything wrong with these. They certainly sound a damn site better than Keane...

Jan 29, 2007 at 11:55 PM Post #11 of 30
Quote:

Are those the ones done up like mini-LPs?

The mini-LPs are just another re-packaging of the same crummy Page remasters.

Jan 30, 2007 at 2:32 AM Post #12 of 30
I'm a huge zeppelin fan, but I do think most of the recordings are lousy. All I have are CDs, and they're flaced onto my DAP. They just stink. But it's much better than no zeppelin at all.

Jan 30, 2007 at 2:58 AM Post #13 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audiofiler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Led Z is one of the bands I strongly encourage people to hear on a decent vinyl rig..

i agree 100%. bonzo's drums just don't sound right in digital.

Jan 30, 2007 at 4:32 AM Post #14 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by terriblepaulz /img/forum/go_quote.gif

In Through The Out Door sounds nice. The others range from just okay to downright horrible.

I've liked what little I've heard of Led Zeppelin on vinyl.

Jan 30, 2007 at 4:48 AM Post #15 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by JES /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm a huge zeppelin fan, but I do think most of the recordings are lousy. All I have are CDs, and they're flaced onto my DAP. They just stink. But it's much better than no zeppelin at all.

I have nothing to add to this thread, except I was confused when I read "flaced" b/c it rhymed with "laced" to me. I think it should be "flacked" or something. Although, this is like when I refer to text messaging as a verb and in the past tense, I say "texted" pronounced "text-id". Sorry for the ramble, now for some more of this
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back