? about I-Pod line out dock cable...
Feb 16, 2008 at 6:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

walls

100+ Head-Fier
Right now I just use a mini to rca cable to run my I-Pod out to my LD2++. I would like to try one of the dock style line out cables but have a question. Can I still access the I-Pod's "EQ" settings when using this style connection?
There are some different songs that I like to change the settings on and still would like to be able to do so.

Feb 16, 2008 at 7:22 PM Post #2 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by walls /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Right now I just use a mini to rca cable to run my I-Pod out to my LD2++. I would like to try one of the dock style line out cables but have a question. Can I still access the I-Pod's "EQ" settings when using this style connection?
There are some different songs that I like to change the settings on and still would like to be able to do so.

Yes, at least with my 4th gen, the EQ settings still apply to the line out signal. Since equalization takes place in the digital domain (before D->A conversion), it should be the same for all of the other models.

Feb 16, 2008 at 10:08 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by rederanged /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, at least with my 4th gen, the EQ settings still apply to the line out signal. Since equalization takes place in the digital domain (before D->A conversion), it should be the same for all of the other models.

I am not so sure!!

Using a lod should bypass the EQ you have set. For instance volume level are not working when using a lod.

To the OP: use a lod, and either a coupler from mini to RCA to feed the input of your LD.

regards,

Feb 16, 2008 at 11:37 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Caribou679 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am not so sure!!

Using a lod should bypass the EQ you have set. For instance volume level are not working when using a lod.

To the OP: use a lod, and either a coupler from mini to RCA to feed the input of your LD.

regards,

Yes, that's true, the output is fixed with the LOD, but the EQ is definitely there. I think the reason for this is that the EQ is applied in the iPod software before the digital signal gets to the DAC, whereas the volume control is done after the DAC in the analog domain. The line out must take its signal from the fixed output of the DAC, whereas the headphone output is downstream of the volume control.

I'll admit that I'm not an expert on this stuff, so maybe someone more knowledgeable will chime in and confirm this or politely tell me I don't know what the hell I'm talking about.
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back