About HD595 and soundstage
Dec 21, 2005 at 7:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

gunz_drawn

Head-Fier
FIRST::Newb alert
icon10.gif

Hi

I was listenin to ktx-pro1 yesterday (drivers angled in the angle of the pinna) and just for fun wore the cans the other way around (with the L on right ear and vice versa)...I noticed the bass was less deep and the treble a bit shill BUT the thing that caught my attention was the vocals were no more in my head!!
They were somewhere a few cm away from right between the eyes..
WOW! this is the first time i heard something on headphoes that was coming from the front..I loved this sound!!
BTW I was listenin to Corrs unplugged DVD rip and the sound was downmixed from 5.1 to stereo and the vocals was "bang in the center"..Andrea Corr was in front of me and not IN me
icon10.gif

Soo i am searchin for a pair of headphones that give this front space and also envelop you in the sound from all around...Is this the 3 rows in front sound ya guys talk about??

Anyway after much research i have nominated the hd595 as my next headphone..
Will these give me what i crave for ???I am not a basshead but tightness and bass extension is prefered

Secondly i thought what these words mean but until i saw them in one sentence..can anyone pls clarify

"they arent as polite as the hd600 and have a great smooth midrange and more in your face ..their angled drivers give them a good soundstage and the charecteristic "3rd row" sound"

(how can they be in your face and 3rd row)

and

"it sounds very three-dimensional and it feels almost as if the different stereo channels are mixed together to create a mono sound..I found personally that the soundstage almost was able to turn a stereo song into mono"

(
confused.gif
)

Note:I would like detail on the phones but not so much as to lead to coloration in the upper midrange..the ety er4 does this for me and i dont like it one bit..

and i do NOT prefer dry bright non musical unforgiving headphones
(The reason i was against the m3 and sa5k combo even tho the bass was too tempting)

P.S the post was already too long to tell my music preferences

Thx in advance

Dec 21, 2005 at 11:03 AM Post #2 of 7
"they arent as polite as the hd600 and have a great smooth midrange and more in your face ..their angled drivers give them a good soundstage and the charecteristic "3rd row" sound"

Not in your face, "more in your face" than hd600. To me, feels like vocals are front row, rest of the band a row behind.

"it sounds very three-dimensional and it feels almost as if the different stereo channels are mixed together to create a mono sound..I found personally that the soundstage almost was able to turn a stereo song into mono"

The angled drivers create a crossfeed effect. Instead of sound coming from the sides, it is more like sound coming from in front.

Dec 23, 2005 at 11:19 AM Post #3 of 7
Or would a dynalo and a hd580 combo suit my needs for now....
*dynahi and k701 being the dream setup*
how is the 580 soundstage??
is it a very versatile can cause i will be listeneng to all sorts of music...

Dec 23, 2005 at 7:56 PM Post #4 of 7
Just got my cans and noticed the following concerning the soundstage:

Imagine two seated rows. You sit back row center. Left chan is the two seats left of you, right chan is the two right of you. Center is directly in front of you, centered in the front row.

These cans seem to have some kind of semicircular soundstage. Not the worst thing to have with headphones imo.

About the third-row thing...
Some people say the sound veiled, just like sitting in the third row. Don't think so, they are as detailed as any but the upper frequencies do not sound as sharp as e.g. with AKGs. Correct me if I'm wrong, "third row" could mean pretty much anything...

Dec 24, 2005 at 11:50 AM Post #5 of 7
i was just asking about the vocals.... were they like right at the center of your head or in front of your face...

the difference is like watching a movie in a theater (imax), sitting in the front rows..
the detail will be good but it is very fatiguing trying to see the whole scene.

instead , if you sit back you cant make out the little details but can comfortably get the whole view..

what does the 595 do

btw will mp3-->av710-->gilmore dynalo-->hd595 be a good combo..
is 595 as adaptive to amps as the hd650??

Dec 24, 2005 at 1:25 PM Post #6 of 7
My personal impression of the HD595 was an absolute "monoish" lack of soundstage. Compared to my Beyers, everything was only situated between my ears, whereas the Beyer give me that "3D-impression" at a very high degree. If you want soundstage, you better look elsewhere than HD 595.

Dec 24, 2005 at 6:07 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen
My personal impression of the HD595 was an absolute "monoish" lack of soundstage. If you want soundstage, you better look elsewhere than HD 595.

I don't get that impression at all, I find the soundstage to be pretty natural. It seems very cohesive to my ears, though certainly not mono, I can still hear unique sounds in each channel it just seems to come together better than some other headphones I've heard. With the angled drivers, it is a lot more dependent on how the headphones rest on your head though.

To the OP: Just goes to show that we may each hear something different. It's always best to demo them for yourself if you can first and if not get them from somewhere with a good return policy.

Ant

Users who are viewing this thread

Back