About dac improvement
Dec 4, 2014 at 2:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

atrax

New Head-Fier
Hello all,

I listening my beloved electro music (autechre, aphex twin, alva noto, richard devine, the higher intelligence angency... ) with this system : ibasso dx50 -> schiit lyr 2 -> Beyerdynamics dt 880/600

I'm thinking about improving my dx50 to a schiit biforst/uber with usb.

My question was very simple : What can I expect with this upgrade ? Do it do a huge difference ? It is a good choice ?

Thank you for your advice.

pss: sorry for my poor frenchy's english

Dec 4, 2014 at 2:21 AM Post #2 of 5
As I recall, the DX50 has a pretty good DAC, correct? I would expect the difference to be fairly subtle. It won't change the basic sound profile - if anything it will just make it lean a bit one way or another. The guys that claim to hear night & day differences between two high quality DACs either have much better ears than I do (very likely) or they are fooling themselves (also very likely).

Dec 4, 2014 at 10:20 AM Post #3 of 5
By all accounts the Bifrost uber is an excellent DAC. Assuming you will be sourcing from PC/Mac over usb I think the difference will be easily noticeable. Whether that difference is worth the money or not is a personal decision.

Dec 4, 2014 at 11:25 AM Post #4 of 5
Thanks, yes I want to use my pc as source. But I'm a linux user (debian now but thinking about using arch soon) and the problem is my os don't recognize the dx 50 as dac. So I need to do a lot of transfert and it's very boring.

Is there anybody who use both linux and the bifrost ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back