About converting open Sennheisers to closed
Feb 21, 2007 at 1:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Ace o' Spades

500+ Head-Fier
Why would you want to do it? I have seen posts where people have essentially taken their HD series cans and made them closed cans, but why would you want to do it? I have heard what they sound with the grills covered up and IMO it is horrible! A ton of midgrange detail is lost and the soundstage collapses.

Feb 21, 2007 at 1:40 AM Post #4 of 7
Ive closed up my 580s with the woody's from headphile. They dont sound dead like when you put your hands over your grilles, but they do take away from the airy bass sound. Covering the grilles with your hands do show the difference it will make, but its hardly what it sounds like. It just mimics the smaller soundstage. Its a personal taste i guess, everyone's ear is different. I like the change for one, it gives it a more personal feeling to music. People coming to the tampa meet will more then likely get to hear them first hand =)

If you want more details, click the link in my sig.

Feb 21, 2007 at 8:33 AM Post #5 of 7
I'm considering calling up SennUSA and (trying) to get some HD600 grilles for my HD580. But first, I removed the plastic grilles and listened for a few hours tonight. WOW! Huge difference. More open sound, wider soundstage. I'm not surprised, based on what I've been reading here.

Now, excuse me if this has been covered - I couldn't find it.

If no grilles produces the best sound, why not a simple grille mod to leave the grilles protected? Buy a pair of HD580 grilles from SennUSA (how much could they be?) and then dremel out all of the plastic "mesh" so all you have is the rim of the grille, then stretch black pantyhose over the open hole and secure it on the inside somehow.

Has anyone done this? What were the results?

Feb 21, 2007 at 8:43 AM Post #6 of 7
I tried my Jubilees with wood and did not care for the sound. Here's what I wrote when I got to audition them with wood;

I got to try out the Jubilees with some wood today and it turns out that I found a way to get rid of the hollow mids but in turn the closed back cups ruined the soudstaging for me and created a sense of "in your headedness" that just drove me crazy. The highs also got quite a bit more sibilant than before. Bass seemed to have more snap and life to it though, I can see why some people say that the closed woodies give you a "club" feel. It kind of sounded like a club EQ preset, pretty interesting considering all that happened was the cups were sealed off. Maybe your experiences will vary but this is what happened with my set-up.

Feb 21, 2007 at 8:59 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by JXBJXB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
stretch black pantyhose over the open hole

Pervert!
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back