About choosing a good SQ DAP
Jun 18, 2011 at 11:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Yeyo6

New Head-Fier

[size=medium]
Well I have like 0 exp on Top of the line DAP, but I would still like to try one, and a friend of mine is going to the US soon so I'm thinking it might be my chance.

The best I've heard is an Iphone 3GS, but I still think I could get better sound. I listen to alot of electronic music, and I love bass. I'm using a pair of HD 280 PRO, and I don't know if buying another DAP would make all the great difference with my 3GS.

The J3 seems to be very popular, but seems like EQing it is necessary, which is something I know nothing about, most of the time I use Flat or Enhanced bass.

Should I buy a J3 or S9 for my situation? Or should I just cut it with an Portable amp?

Help please =(
[/size]

Jun 18, 2011 at 11:57 PM Post #3 of 8

Quote:
What format is your music currently in? ie, CDs MP3, AAC, FLAC etc.

You said you own a iphone 3Gs? 

Well I usually search for 320 kbps mp3, I know there are better formats but its the most common I can find.

And yeah, don't even know how an EQ works, ie if you say EQ the first thing that comes to my mind is WinAmp :S and its many vertical bars

And for what I know, 3GS only has factory presets, unless I get some kind of app.

Jun 19, 2011 at 12:03 PM Post #5 of 8

Quote:

-. Buy CDs.
-. Rip them to ALAC.
-. Get the EQu or Equilizer app(s).
-. Sync.
-. Open your new app.
-. Move the little line to what sounds good to you.
-. Enjoy.

Spot on.

Why spend all that money on good DAP and headphones and download crap from the net? Do yourself (and the artist too) a favour by buying quality source (pretty much means a legit CD).

Btw, the HD280 won't work quite well with the headphone out, get an amp or get yourself a decent and efficient IEM.

Jun 19, 2011 at 12:14 PM Post #6 of 8

Quote:
Spot on.

Why spend all that money on good DAP and headphones and download crap from the net? Do yourself (and the artist too) a favour by buying quality source (pretty much means a legit CD).

Btw, the HD280 won't work quite well with the headphone out, get an amp or get yourself a decent and efficient IEM.

Yeah I was thinking of getting an amp myself but the price is kind of high and hard to find.
By the way what is an IEM?

Is FLAC the best SQ format around?

Thanks anyway for the response.

PS: When I download from the net, its because you can't find that music on the local store =(

Regards

Jun 19, 2011 at 2:40 PM Post #7 of 8
IEM = In Ear Monitor. Kinda like "earbuds", but generally sound better, and offer more ambient noise isolation.

AIFF and WAV are uncompressed audio files. ALAC and FLAC are "lossless" audio files. They're about half the file size of a AIFF/WAV, and sound exactly the same. Think of it like a .ZIP or .RAR file. All the info's there, it's just compressed. If you must use MP3, people don't usually notice a sound difference with 320 KB/s. Anything lower than that, you're loosing sound quality. If the CD you want, isn't at the local store, buy the CD online. There are thousands of websites where you can buy any CD you want. No excuses. Other than, you live in a third world country, and you have better things to worry about than better sound quality. Like, water.

I think you need to educate yourself on file formats, and equipment, before you go off asking "what's the best of this/that". Just sayin'..

Jun 19, 2011 at 5:03 PM Post #8 of 8

Quote:
IEM = In Ear Monitor. Kinda like "earbuds", but generally sound better, and offer more ambient noise isolation.

AIFF and WAV are uncompressed audio files. ALAC and FLAC are "lossless" audio files. They're about half the file size of a AIFF/WAV, and sound exactly the same. Think of it like a .ZIP or .RAR file. All the info's there, it's just compressed. If you must use MP3, people don't usually notice a sound difference with 320 KB/s. Anything lower than that, you're loosing sound quality. If the CD you want, isn't at the local store, buy the CD online. There are thousands of websites where you can buy any CD you want. No excuses. Other than, you live in a third world country, and you have better things to worry about than better sound quality. Like, water.

I think you need to educate yourself on file formats, and equipment, before you go off asking "what's the best of this/that". Just sayin'..

Hahaha yeah I know about the online thing, I sigh everytime I see the kontor site, but I don't have a credit card yet so it is kinda like impossible for now.

In my case I already have the headphones, so buying a pair of IEMs is out of the question for now at least.
So I started the thread to know if I actually needed another DAP to get better SQ out of my music than with my current Iphone 3GS, or if it was just a matter of file formats. Then I thought a Amp could do it like the Fiio E7, so I asked you guys because theres a lot of ppl here who know much about it.

Thanks anyway for the answers, I did got a little grasp on the file format issues.
Regards

Users who are viewing this thread

Back