About braided UM2 cord
Dec 17, 2006 at 2:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

solo2

Head-Fier
Hey all,

I have noticed that the braided cord can "untwist" itself sometimes, making it appear as if the entwined wires are separate ones; of course the braided cord is still intact. This happens particularly at the joining at the earphone jack. Should I be concerned about it? I have just had the earphones for two weeks.

Thanks.

Dec 17, 2006 at 2:17 PM Post #2 of 7
In reality, no, you shouldn't be worried. But a pair of $300 earphones shouldn't do that, especially in 2 weeks. I would personally get a replacement. I'll see what others think.
tongue.gif

Dec 17, 2006 at 4:55 PM Post #3 of 7
I don't think this should happen. I know mine don't and I don't plan on playing around with them to find out if they can. Still, something like this may not be covered by a warranty since technically they still work. Advise the seller of the situation and see what they say.

Dec 17, 2006 at 5:56 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by solo2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey all,

I have noticed that the braided cord can "untwist" itself sometimes, making it appear as if the entwined wires are separate ones; of course the braided cord is still intact. This happens particularly at the joining at the earphone jack. Should I be concerned about it? I have just had the earphones for two weeks.

Thanks.

Every now and then mine will get 'loose' near each housing where I twist them to fit into my ear after looping the cord over. I'll just retwist them and move on. I've had mine over a year with no major probs - I do handle them as carefully as possible at all times, though (@ $300 you'd better believe it!). BTW, mine have never untwisted near the plug, so you might have an issue there. Good luck

Dec 18, 2006 at 1:03 AM Post #6 of 7
Thank you all for the replies. I do take extra care with the earphones, housing them in a UE metallic case when not in use
tongue.gif
It seems like a natural phenomenon or I'm just nitpicking
tongue.gif
After all, the twisted cables are not superglued or anything. When I first got the um2s, I wasn't impressed with the build quality. I thought the transparent plastic enclosure looked cheap and I could detect rough edges. The braided wires don't look strong either and joints of the wires were not trimmed; stray ends could be seen poking out. Maybe I was expecting too much. I like the build quality of my UEs more even if the cables are thick. At least they don't look like they're about to fall apart. That said, the um2s do have unsurpassed comfort and have more punch than my superfi 3s.

Dec 18, 2006 at 3:51 PM Post #7 of 7
My um1s have the same problem on the plug end. A couple of other users have reported the same too. I think its a small problem, just twist it the other way and its as good as new.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back