About Bluetooth headphones' sound quality
Aug 28, 2016 at 10:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

lsc04361

New Head-Fier
Unlike the wired one, the Bluetooth headphones(or speaker) received digital signals instead of analog signal. So the Bluetooth headphones will required a built-in DAC as well as an amplifier so as the process the Bluetooth-sent signals to the driver.

Here goes the part that confuses me. If that is the case(please correct me if there's misconception above), does that means a wired headphone(no cost for the DAC etc.) will always sound better than a Bluetooth one at the same price level? And how can Bluetooth headphones managed to compete with the wired one with that cost disadvantage?

Another question is, as far as I know, files like FLAC cannot be sent directly via Bluetooth. They have to be re-coded with Bluetooth audio codecs like aptX to transfer through Bluetooth. Will this extra process poss any impact on the sound quality (though it seems that there wouldn't be any as the conversion is of digital nature)?

Aug 28, 2016 at 11:38 PM Post #2 of 2
Unlike the wired one, the Bluetooth headphones(or speaker) received digital signals instead of analog signal. So the Bluetooth headphones will required a built-in DAC as well as an amplifier so as the process the Bluetooth-sent signals to the driver.

Here goes the part that confuses me. If that is the case(please correct me if there's misconception above), does that means a wired headphone(no cost for the DAC etc.) will always sound better than a Bluetooth one at the same price level? And how can Bluetooth headphones managed to compete with the wired one with that cost disadvantage?

Another question is, as far as I know, files like FLAC cannot be sent directly via Bluetooth. They have to be re-coded with Bluetooth audio codecs like aptX to transfer through Bluetooth. Will this extra process poss any impact on the sound quality (though it seems that there wouldn't be any as the conversion is of digital nature)?

So like you I had many questions about Bluetooth headphones, and the answers were kinda surprising. Yes, Bluetooth will affect the quality of the sound, but not nearly as much as you might think. Overall since Bluetooth 2.0 (I believe) the compression is far less than you would think. This meaning that you can still get very good sound out of Bluetooth headphones.
Now your next question is a bit tricky to word. Yes you can indeed send flac files via Bluetooth, but Bluetooth compresses them to send them to the headphones meaning they are no longer uncompressed music files. So basically they are no longer flac on e they are sent via Bluetooth, but that doesn't mean they sound bad at all. Most of the sound quality you'll hear depends on the actual headphones and not the Bluetooth compression. If done right the headphones themselves can sound amazing. For example, the definitive technology symphony 1 are probably some of the best Bluetooth headphones on the market. Although I haven't listened to them you can tell by the glowing reviews that they don't sound bad at all.
Now what aptX does is it allows for the transmission of uncompressed music files (flac, alac) from one aptX enabled device to another aptX enabled device. So basically it's like Bluetooth but without the compression.
Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back