About amps with RCA inputs
Feb 19, 2005 at 7:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

MajinWu

100+ Head-Fier
Do amps perform better when plugged through the RCA inputs?

I'm not sure whether I should get an amp with RCA inputs or just a Line-In. My AV-710 uses a Line-out, so I would need to get an RCA adaptor which would probably degrade the sound.

Feb 20, 2005 at 1:00 AM Post #2 of 5
Line-out describes the signal characteristics, not the physical connector. The line-out of the AV710 is a 1/8" mini stereo jack, and if you want to connect to an amp with RCA inputs, all you need is a mini-to-RCA cable. (I.e., one end is a 1/8" plug, the other end is a pair of RCA plugs. No separate adapter involved.) There are tons of such cables available, from the $5-6 ones available at Radio Shack, to those which are upwards of $100. (Most non-computer sources, like CD-players, use RCA jacks for their line-outs.)

As to whether RCA connections provide better quality -- I would expect so, since the two channels are delivered through separate connectors, but others more knowledgeable than I can address this better.

Feb 20, 2005 at 1:37 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sinbios
i don't see why splitting the channels between the connectors would improve the quality...

My thinking is that it would reduce the possibility of crosstalk between the channels -- but hey, what do I know?
blink.gif

Feb 20, 2005 at 4:53 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dixie Flatline
My thinking is that it would reduce the possibility of crosstalk between the channels -- but hey, what do I know?
blink.gif

You can use beefier cables, with better shielding if using RCA jacks, in my opinion. Less fragile than the thin 1/8" stereo jack cabling typically found in standard phone cabling.

I use an adapter in the line out jack on my Chaintech, it converts the 1/8" jack to two RCA plugs, then you can use any interconnect cable you have available. My amp has RCA inputs, so this works well for me.

A well-built 1/8" stereo to dual RCA cable would work too, but I like what I have currently.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back