About amp versatility
Apr 23, 2008 at 1:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

greenhorn

Headphoneus Supremus
From the technical point of view: how can some amps be more versatile than others?

For example, my Gilmore Reference drives with fantastic results both the Grado RS1 (low impedance) and the Sennheiser HD600 (high impedance).

I mean, when somebody is designing an amp, there must be some particular headphone (or at least category of headphones, impedance speaking) which are supposed to be synergetical with that amp. And if you use other phones, then the amp would maybe still be good, but not at its best.

So which is that technical detail that makes some amps to be... more versatile and other amps... less versatile :) ?

Apr 23, 2008 at 3:48 PM Post #2 of 2
Quote:

Originally Posted by greenhorn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From the technical point of view: how can some amps be more versatile than others?

For example, my Gilmore Reference drives with fantastic results both the Grado RS1 (low impedance) and the Sennheiser HD600 (high impedance).

I mean, when somebody is designing an amp, there must be some particular headphone (or at least category of headphones, impedance speaking) which are supposed to be synergetical with that amp. And if you use other phones, then the amp would maybe still be good, but not at its best.

So which is that technical detail that makes some amps to be... more versatile and other amps... less versatile :) ?

It's quite possible to build an amp with high voltage swing ability and high current pulse ability at the same time - but it costs a lot, requires a very high-quality power supply and a high-powered, buffered output.

Most likely cost is the main impediment. For instance, most high-powered, deep Class A buffers on solid-state equipment are too expensive to implement. They involve massive heat rejection, requiring big heat sinks and ventilation - not to mention the power supply that has to go along with it.

Tube amps are similar. High voltage swing is not a problem with most tube amps, but current pulse is. Many OTL tube amps are limited to about 50ma, and that may be with paralleled tubes. There are ways to improve that, but at a higher cost.

Tube amps with big iron are more or less tied into certain load impedances - the nature of inductive iron. Most will have features/connections for different impedances, but that's an added expense, too.

The Gilmore is a fine amp and happens to hit a sweet spot with some of the favorite low and high impedance cans. However, there are amps that can drive one or the other a bit better, perhaps - when they are specifically designed for it. To do both better is, as stated - very expensive.

Keep in mind that these are very generalized remarks, but I think the theme is correct.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back