About all the awesome new bands I don't know (2011)
Mar 28, 2011 at 3:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

naurispunk

100+ Head-Fier

If you don't feel like reading just scroll down to the last paragraph for the short question.

I was just litenting to 'Staring at the sun' by The Offspring when I realised that it's like 15 years old tune. I must be getting old!!! 

Anyway, I started to think about the time when music changed for me from background noise on radio and became... this sounds so gay - a source of inspiration. And I realised that it's been a while since I've found a band and/or artist that has had a significant impact on me (and yes I like The Dead Weather and some other stuff... like Kate Nash but still). Maybe it's because back than I was like 15 and retarted and it's just harder to surpise me now. But I'm sure you know what I mean. When I first heard Dexter (not Morgan! The Offspring, vocals) yelling in chorus of "She's got issues" on radio after listening to a bunch of pretentious nu-metal/pop bands or something like HIM (metal/goth/pop... just google Ville Valo) kicked me like nothing else at the time. And of course they actually wrote songs about stuff I could relate to and they had an opinion of their own about a thing or two.

Of course now I realise that most bands that I discovered back then were not really played on radio on regular basis. The Offspring was easy to find but bands like Pennywise, Bad Religion, Descendents I found while reading interviews, asking friends etc. So maybe this stuff is (it must be) out there. Just not in the headlights. 

And no, I'm not asking about Justin Beiber. I know that he is modern day equivelent to Backstreet Boys or Britney. But is it like... Lady Gaga? And yeah I guess I am mostly asking about rock bands. So is it like My Chemical Romance? Or Paramore? I just realised I'm cringing. 

BTW, I'm not asking about bands that were founded in 90's so don't be writing about no Foo Fighters, Muse etc. Or do write about them if you feel like you have to. This thread just is not about those bands.

Ok this is getting long. All I wanted to ask is if there are new bands (formed in last 5 to 10 years) in 2011 that do stuff that you can relate to. 

Mar 28, 2011 at 4:04 PM Post #2 of 3
Sure, 10 Years, the old Alkaline Trio, 311 (okay, they're older than 10 years old, but still), Ben Folds, Broken Bells, Cloud Cult, Maynard Keenan's bands (Tool, Puscifer, A Perfect Circle), Death Cab For Cutie, Jonas Sees in Color, Magnetic Fields, Of Montreal, A Silver Mt Zion (whatever they're called now), Taproot, and many, many other modern bands have impacted me in different ways. Anyone who says good music hasn't been created this past decade hasn't been looking hard enough. Heck, some/most of the music I listen to may be crap to some, but it has helped create who I am, so who are they to judge?

Mar 28, 2011 at 4:31 PM Post #3 of 3
last 5 years? Dead by april. They have meaningful lyrics on their songs. It suits me perfectly. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back