Aborted av710/0404 comparison
Nov 12, 2004 at 3:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

S_Dedalus

1000+ Head-Fier
I thought, what the hell, lets compare 'em, then I plugged in the av710, and it was all over.
What I once thought to be a pretty good source now sounds like utterly lifeless, muddy, and boring junk. $6 in mods took the 0404 to a completely different level, because when I first got it, I thought it was better than the chaintech, but now I can't really even listen to the av710 anymore.
Unless you can't use a soldering iron, or can't spend $90 on a computer source, there is no way that I would ever recommend an av710 anymore.

Nov 12, 2004 at 3:38 AM Post #2 of 27
Definately agree. When I first got the Terratec EWX 24/96 I didn't hear a whole lot of differences between it and the AV-710 I was using. But when my Terratec died (R.I.P.
frown.gif
) and I went back to the AV-710, it was bad enough that I had to use my PIMETA with it since my PPX3 made it sound like crap. Lifeless and boring are definately right. The 0404 before mods was a little better than the EWX, and with mods is definately a clear step ahead of the EWX and absolutely and completely obliterates the AV-710. I thought my EWX sounded great for the $140 I paid for it, but for just under $100 with shipping the 0404 is clearly better. I guess for $20 you still really can't go wrong with the AV-710 but price/performance-wise the 0404 kills it.

Nov 12, 2004 at 3:43 AM Post #3 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by donovansmith
Definately agree. When I first got the Terratec EWX 24/96 I didn't hear a whole lot of differences between it and the AV-710 I was using. But when my Terratec died (R.I.P.
frown.gif
) and I went back to the AV-710, it was bad enough that I had to use my PIMETA with it since my PPX3 made it sound like crap. Lifeless and boring are definately right. The 0404 before mods was a little better than the EWX, and with mods is definately a clear step ahead of the EWX and absolutely and completely obliterates the AV-710. I thought my EWX sounded great for the $140 I paid for it, but for just under $100 with shipping the 0404 is clearly better. I guess for $20 you still really can't go wrong with the AV-710 but price/performance-wise the 0404 kills it.

I'm starting to think the 0404 might be the best value in sources, although I'll need to do some direct comparisons at the Champagne-Urbana meet.
EDIT
How do you like the PPX3 with the K271's? I'm in an impatient mode at the moment, waiting for my HD25 to get here is driving me insane, at least I'll have the SR-325's to keep me busy now.

Nov 12, 2004 at 5:24 AM Post #5 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by S_Dedalus
I'm starting to think the 0404 might be the best value in sources

I completely agree with that statement. The appeal of the AV710 is to the person reluctant to spend on audio, or just not able to spend much. The 0404 is definitely king as far as bang for the buck is concerned.

Nov 12, 2004 at 5:26 AM Post #6 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by AnimeEd
what kinds of mod did you have on it?

I removed the output capacitors and buffer opamps, and replaced the output opamp with an LT1364, in the near future, I will bias the opamp into class A, and replace the power supply caps with better and or larger caps.

Nov 12, 2004 at 5:51 AM Post #7 of 27
Quote:

How do you like the PPX3 with the K271's? I'm in an impatient mode at the moment, waiting for my HD25 to get here is driving me insane, at least I'll have the SR-325's to keep me busy now.

The K271 goes quite well with the PPX3. The K271s seem to really like tube amps and are quite sensitive to amplification.

Nov 12, 2004 at 6:34 AM Post #9 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by comabereni
You will all be quiet now... thank you.

Signed,

- oblivious AV710 user -

icon10.gif

Did anybody mention just how much of a step-up the 0404 is?
wink.gif

Hey, if I joined the FOTM then you can, too
biggrin.gif

Nov 12, 2004 at 6:55 AM Post #10 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by donovansmith
Did anybody mention just how much of a step-up the 0404 is?
wink.gif

...grumble, grumble...

Drats. I like(d) my AV710. I hate it when I find out I have the sophistication of a peasant. Someone please be sure to post a video guide to modding it for maximum performance.

[Just when I thought I had my budget source solution, along come a bunch of smart-alecks to destroy my blissful illusion...]

icon10.gif

Nov 12, 2004 at 7:15 AM Post #11 of 27
Quote:

...grumble, grumble...

Drats. I like(d) my AV710. I hate it when I find out I have the sophistication of a peasant. Someone please be sure to post a video guide to modding it for maximum performance.

[Just when I thought I had my budget source solution, along come a bunch of smart-alecks to destroy my blissful illusion...]

icon10.gif

Hey, if you like it, you like it. I'd recommend staying with it.
EDIT
Hey, cool, another astronomy geek.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 12, 2004 at 7:52 AM Post #12 of 27
Quote:

Hey, if you like it, you like it. I'd recommend staying with it.
EDIT
Hey, cool, another astronomy geek.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm happy with it, but it's hard to ignore statements like these:

"Unless you can't use a soldering iron, or can't spend $90 on a computer source, there is no way that I would ever recommend an av710 anymore."

Yes, I can use a soldering iron and afford $90 + modding expenses. (Strike one.)

"The 0404 before mods was a little better than the EWX, and with mods is definately a clear step ahead of the EWX and absolutely and completely obliterates the AV-710."

What? Completely obliterates the AV710? For only $100 more? (Strike two).

"The appeal of the AV710 is to the person reluctant to spend on audio, or just not able to spend much. The 0404 is definitely king as far as bang for the buck is concerned."

Darnit. Three witnesses. Strike three. I want the "PC-bang-for-the-buck-king". $100 for a true high-end source is a good value. I'm all about that.
icon10.gif

-coma

P.S. Yes, I am definitely an astronomy geek. Actually more of an astronomy wannabe, telescope-making geek. I need my son to read the sky charts for me.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 12, 2004 at 7:58 AM Post #13 of 27
Quote:

Darnit. Three witnesses. Strike three. I want the "PC-bang-for-the-buck-king". $100 for a true high-end source is a good value. I'm all about that.
icon10.gif

I wouldn't go quite that far, unless you don't consider "high-end" to mean the endgame of audio, becuase there is certainly another order of magnitude of performance beyond the 0404. But if the AV710 is mid-fi, then the 0404 is certainly hi-fi, I guess that makes the uppermost echelon ultra-fi.

Nov 12, 2004 at 8:04 AM Post #14 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
I wouldn't go quite that far, unless you don't consider "high-end" to mean the endgame of audio, becuase there is certainly another order of magnitude of performance beyond the 0404. But if the AV710 is mid-fi, then the 0404 is certainly hi-fi, I guess that makes the uppermost echelon ultra-fi.

I assume the DAC-1 is ultra-fi right?
biggrin.gif

Nov 12, 2004 at 8:04 AM Post #15 of 27
Quote:

icon10.gif

-coma

P.S. Yes, I am definitely an astronomy geek. Actually more of an astronomy wannabe, telescope-making geek. I need my son to read the sky charts for me.
smily_headphones1.gif

It's definately hi-fi, high end, well, that I wouldn't say, but to get significantly better sound, you'd probably have to spend 5-10x as much.

I need to get back to a place where I can actually use my scope, and then I'll build a nice 10" dob.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back