Abbingdon Music Research DP-777 Thread
May 31, 2015 at 4:03 PM Post #541 of 571
  Hi,
my one guy finally got his original SE, the upgraded SE had problems, but he hasn´t compared it yet with the "normal" 777.
That will happen next week and I will audition the SE vs basic vs and-then-some the weekend of the 20th of June.

Cheers
Kai

Hi
I am a little confused with your updates.Do you own this machine or is this someone else’s machine.

Sometimes it reads like you own it and then now you say its your friends.

Or is it that you own one and your freind owns one also and one is se version and one is original.

Just a little confused.

Cheers

Jun 1, 2015 at 1:58 AM Post #542 of 571
Hello,
I´ve startetd writing in this thread by proxy, so to say, for two friends of mine who own the 777.
I´ve auditioned the 777 very intensely at my place.
One of those friends had endless problems with his machine and so I wanted to help him by posting here.
In the meantime (which was like 3 months...) he finally got an original SE as replacement for his faulty machine.
So far, which is a week or so, everything is fine. The other friend, living in the same city, will get this new machine for a week starting today, so that he will be able to compare them against each other.
And in three weeks we will meet on a weekend for an extensive audition.

Cheers
Kai

Jun 3, 2015 at 8:54 AM Post #544 of 571
The dealer where I got my retro stereo system it had the SE version DP in his Germany Avant garde horn speaker system. It was not as good as the Kondo from Jpan but both played seducing music. Not hifi. I just wish I could afford this kind of system in both terms of coin and space. One of the few outlets i have come across that set a music system not a hifi system. really good gear. but you need coin to play in this stratosphere. I am jealous.

Jun 19, 2015 at 4:18 PM Post #545 of 571
  Hi,
my one guy finally got his original SE, the upgraded SE had problems, but he hasn´t compared it yet with the "normal" 777.
That will happen next week and I will audition the SE vs basic vs and-then-some the weekend of the 20th of June.

Cheers
Kai

I lent my unit to Audio by E on the Audio Afficianado forum. I used it with BNC, but he fired it up with USB and the driver was wrong, thus the problems until he got the correct driver from AMR.

I sent the SE to him for a shootout with some other DACs along with an original 777. The SE came as a new SE and was not field updated. Anyone interested can read the results on that forum.

Jun 23, 2015 at 8:25 AM Post #547 of 571
Thanks @preproman , I have to make a call fairly soon re: my DAC for speaker rig since I relocated my MSB Analog to my study for use with my headphones. I listen to my headphones more than my speaker so I figured the "better DAC" should be where I spend my time the most.

I'm thinking of either DP-777SE or Metrum Pavane to replace the Analog. Not much user reviews on either DAC outside of a few professional reviewers thoughts...

Jun 25, 2015 at 4:22 AM Post #548 of 571
Hello,
I´m still owing you a review I guess.
Last weekend I finally got to audition the SE which was a factory SE and not an upgraded version.
Unfortunately a comparison between the MK I and the SE was not possible since my second guy had gotten his upgrade set in the meantime and already implemented it.
BUT since I knew what I didn´t like about the MK I, I was able to make out the differences out of my memory. And since they really are dramatic it wasn´t really difficult.
My main points of criticism in regard to the MK I  were that voices and brass were lacking substance. They sounded compressed to me.
That has completely changed with the SE version. The sound was "right" now. The overall performance had just gained so much that I would say the SE is really a completely new machine with a new sound signature. I really liked what I heard.

Would I buy one now?
NO, since the process for the boys to finally get their SE was just pathetic and AMR has to prove that they optimised their processes and verify that they are reliable as a manufacturer.

Cheers
Kai

Jun 26, 2015 at 1:43 AM Post #549 of 571
@aston456 - Thanks for that mate. Isn't it interesting how diverse the range of human experience is, specifically hearing. The AA review @preproman linked points to a subtle upgrade around high and low frequency extension. Where as your experience details something more dramatic.

I'm also on the fence re: SE due largely to the way the whole SE upgrade has been handled. In this day and age to think you can let something like this play out like that, and that too with existing customers is cause for concern. 

Jun 26, 2015 at 9:13 AM Post #550 of 571
I didn't hear the original as I only heard the SE version. It was with Kondo amplification and Avan garde trio speakers. There was no "weak spot" I could pin point. The AMR dealer in HK was absolutely first class. big thumbs up for them and they really looked after me even though i am never in a million years going to buy the DP SE. So I only got good serve. Sorry the other poster feels sad.

Jun 27, 2015 at 6:51 AM Post #551 of 571
  @aston456 - Thanks for that mate. Isn't it interesting how diverse the range of human experience is, specifically hearing. The AA review @preproman linked points to a subtle upgrade around high and low frequency extension. Where as your experience details something more dramatic.

I'm also on the fence re: SE due largely to the way the whole SE upgrade has been handled. In this day and age to think you can let something like this play out like that, and that too with existing customers is cause for concern. 

Would love to hear the MSB up against the AMR and the new Schiit... to bad you're in Syd and I'm in Melbourne, soapy.. :wink:

Jun 27, 2015 at 7:20 AM Post #552 of 571
  Would love to hear the MSB up against the AMR and the new Schiit... to bad you're in Syd and I'm in Melbourne, soapy.. :wink:

Funny... I wish I were in Syd.... which I think is the most beautiful city in the world.
Even Melbourne would be fine with me. LOL....
I am located near MUNICH, Germany.

Cheers
Kai

Jun 27, 2015 at 11:40 AM Post #554 of 571
Thanks @preproman
, I have to make a call fairly soon re: my DAC for speaker rig since I relocated my MSB Analog to my study for use with my headphones. I listen to my headphones more than my speaker so I figured the "better DAC" should be where I spend my time the most.

I'm thinking of either DP-777SE or Metrum Pavane to replace the Analog. Not much user reviews on either DAC outside of a few professional reviewers thoughts...

why not TotalDac?

Jun 29, 2015 at 3:18 AM Post #555 of 571

Gav - I hear you brother. I had a chance to listen to the Yggdrasil at another Headfi'rs place a few weeks ago and was impressed, though in the end preferred the tonality of the MSB. I'm glad I heard it as it allowed me to separate a bit of fact from fiction. 

Are you rocking a DP-777 SE? I'm keen on pulling the trigger, the only other thing holding me back (aside from the fiasco that is the SE upgrade) is that the original the DP-777 (with Quad Core Upgrade) is apparently a touch too polite and doesn't quite have the dynamics along with the top and low frequency extension some of the other DAC's do in that price range exhibit. Although by all accounts the SE seems to fix all of that up according to the guys on AA.

What kind of music do you listen to mate? I listen to quite a eclectic selection of music on my speaker rig (unlike with my cans): it's pretty much 25% Jazz; 25% Female Vocal; 20% Singer Songwriter; and 30% electronica on a more chilled out tip i.e. Trip-Hop, Ambient, Lounge etc. I wonder what the SE will be like in light of that. 

Funny... I wish I were in Syd.... which I think is the most beautiful city in the world.
Even Melbourne would be fine with me. LOL....
I am located near MUNICH, Germany.

Cheers
Kai

LOL Kai - It's a great part of the world. One of the few gripes I have is that we don't quite have the ability to hear much of what we want to in person. In home auditions are next to impossible. Which when you're dropping upwards of $AU7K on a component (let alone a DAC) is quite the proposition. Case in point, I'm about to lose $700 on iFi's Retro Stereo 50 because it's not a good match. I'm scared of making the same mistake with my next DAC purchase. 

why not TotalDac?

I'd love to listen to one of Vincent's masterpieces. There's no local distributor. The nearest one is in Singapore and doesn't offer the same in home audition terms that Vincent does. So if I wanted to try a Totaldac I'd have to pay for shipping plus import duties. Putting around double price of the AMR or Pavane. It's a real pity. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back