Abbingdon Music Research DP-777 Thread
Apr 4, 2015 at 5:51 PM Post #527 of 571
It takes at least 300-500 hours for the sound to sound close to what you have heard in a well burnt in set. Others have reported the Dac will continue to improve from there to 1000 hours. For the first 300 hours, it was hard to enjoy the sound, it sounded flat, dull and uninspiring. Mine has been switched on 24/7 since the first day.

This reassure me !  
biggrin.gif

Indeed, It has so far only 50 hours, and I have to admit that for the time being it do NOT sound better than my HUGO !
mad.gif
  I hope that with the break-in it will improve a lot !

- How much minimum break-in does it need before providing it's best SQ ? 

- I have 2500 CD in red-book format, so I need a DAC that is best with 16-44 music. --> Is the ARM a good choice for people having much more 16/44 than higher res files ?  are there other DAC better optimised for 16/44 ?

Apr 4, 2015 at 5:59 PM Post #528 of 571
Not many people have heard the SE yet, only a few.  However, the original DP-777 is great with rebook (16/44 files).  That's why I like it so much.  

I read where you say the Hugo is so damn precise.  If that's what your looking for and or if that's what you like.  The Hugo may be a better choice for you.  However, there are so many more things the AMR will do better.  It may not be the last word in precise detail as you put it.  But is has a 3D holographic  sound stage.  The midrange is very good.  The bass could go lower, but it's very accurate.  The treble is non offensive and very delicate. It also resolves at a very high level.  It's not in your face with precise detail.  

Apr 5, 2015 at 3:01 AM Post #529 of 571
Not many people have heard the SE yet, only a few.  However, the original DP-777 is great with rebook (16/44 files).  That's why I like it so much.  

I read where you say the Hugo is so damn precise.  If that's what your looking for and or if that's what you like.  The Hugo may be a better choice for you.  However, there are so many more things the AMR will do better.  It may not be the last word in precise detail as you put it.  But is has a 3D holographic  sound stage.  The midrange is very good.  The bass could go lower, but it's very accurate.  The treble is non offensive and very delicate. It also resolves at a very high level.  It's not in your face with precise detail.  

I hear what you say and it reasure me. Let's wait until the ARM is break-in enough. :smiley:

Apr 5, 2015 at 7:02 AM Post #531 of 571
Apr 9, 2015 at 12:27 PM Post #532 of 571
I'm between the following DAC's:

AMR DP-777 SE
Moon Neo 380D DSD
Moon Neo 280D DSD
Lampi L4
Lampi Amber (much cheaper)

Suggestions accepted....
rolleyes.gif

Apr 9, 2015 at 12:38 PM Post #533 of 571
  I'm between the following DAC's:

AMR DP-777 SE
Moon Neo 380D DSD
Moon Neo 280D DSD
Lampi L4
Lampi Amber (much cheaper)

Suggestions accepted....
rolleyes.gif

The dac in the 430HA D surprised me. Stopped my buying a Lampi Big 7 after auditioning them both (sonic differences not worth the extra £6000+), so I'd imagine the 380D is a beast.

I will be auditioning the 777SE, Lampi DSD (HQPlayer upsamling redbook) and Yggdrasil at some point. No rush though which is always nice.

Apr 13, 2015 at 10:09 AM Post #534 of 571
I'm having my second issue with this DAC since I bought it near three years ago.

The first one was the USB card that stopped working some months after purchase. However, the service of AMR was pretty good and they sent me a new usb board user repleacable that fixed the problem.

Now the DAC stop working after some minutes of playing music. Now I have to find out whether is in issue of the RCA anologue output, or the USB module..

--------------------------

Fixed: it turned out to be an issue of my laptop. I re-installed the AMR drivers and now all works fine.

Apr 13, 2015 at 6:00 PM Post #535 of 571
Ordered today "SE" edition black;
seems there is a small waiting list (1/2 months) but I was lucky: seller had last one in stock (feb. batch)
After some burn-in, hope next month, will share my impressions vs. Exa E22 and Moon 380D DSD

Apr 25, 2015 at 9:50 PM Post #536 of 571
fast question to owners: when I set gain level at max I can hear through HP some light swishing noise, this happens after I have connected several amps both on balanced/unbalanced outputs, swicthed between several USB cables, USB power (through Ifi Gemini/iUSP Power/external battery etc)
I'm not totally convinced....
confused_face(1).gif

May 13, 2015 at 6:13 PM Post #537 of 571
Anyone with impressions on the DP-777SE to share?

May 28, 2015 at 8:34 AM Post #538 of 571
I'm interested to know what the owners of the SE model think of the upgrade, is it worth the $1500 outlay....... it's all gone very very quiet so either owners are too mesmerised by the new performance on offer or it's a case of comparing pears with apples? : )

May 31, 2015 at 11:59 AM Post #540 of 571
Hi,
my one guy finally got his original SE, the upgraded SE had problems, but he hasn´t compared it yet with the "normal" 777.
That will happen next week and I will audition the SE vs basic vs and-then-some the weekend of the 20th of June.

Cheers
Kai

Users who are viewing this thread

Back