Abbingdon Music Research DP-777 Thread
Jul 1, 2014 at 2:47 PM Post #316 of 571
I use kernel streaming in JRiver 19 running on Server 2012 and Audiophile’s Optimizer.  I use a Sotm USB card from a home built Intel server motherboard feeding the AMR 777.  It works great.
PS
I use core mode in Server 2012.

Jul 1, 2014 at 3:46 PM Post #317 of 571
Hi

Ok great to hear it works in core mode as well. Because I can't be with it :)

Best,
Houbi aka AudioPhil

Jul 2, 2014 at 5:48 PM Post #318 of 571
Hi

Ok great to hear it works in core mode as well. Because I can't be with it :)

Best,
Houbi aka AudioPhil

Yep works fine for me as well - the USB input on the 777 is based around the XMOS chip, which is well tested on core mode.  I think I had to load the GUI to install the USB driver and then remove the GUI and then it was fine..

Jul 3, 2014 at 4:36 PM Post #319 of 571
Hi

Most DAC/DDC drivers need to be initially installed while being in GUI mode. Only very few work if directly installed in core mode. That's also the reason why my PDF manual states to always do the initial installation of the OS in GUI mode.

But i don't want to hijack this thread so let's get back to topic. :)

Jul 4, 2014 at 11:25 PM Post #320 of 571
Any news on the upgrades?

Jul 5, 2014 at 11:08 PM Post #321 of 571
Any news on the upgrades?

popcorn.gif

Jul 8, 2014 at 3:23 AM Post #322 of 571
I spoke with a kind lady at Avatar yesterday, she informed me the SE upgrade isn't expected to be ready until the end of the month. I sure hope this is gonna be a significant improvement, got a Perfect Wave DAC in and this thing is a beast (very clean and resolving). 

Jul 8, 2014 at 3:25 AM Post #323 of 571
I meant the Direct Stream DAC.

Jul 9, 2014 at 8:54 AM Post #324 of 571
  I meant the Direct Stream DAC.

I have it as well. Yes, it's a beast, though different one than most NOS multibits + tubes I've heard thus far, and as far as I remember. IMO UI of this PS Audio brick is a bit quirky for me. Yes, it's clear and all options can be easily found, but I'd like to have physical vol buttons. I'm aware why those aren't there, but still I'd enjoy having them. And I thought that screen will have better res, and that it'll be AMOLED or something similarily nice. But those are subjective things, not  flaws per se, only my personal three cents.

Aug 22, 2014 at 10:29 AM Post #325 of 571
Recently, I have switched my use for DP-777 to function purely as a pre-amp in my chain and use a Sabre 9018 based DAC for the front end. I started out just trying out of curiosity how it would sound as a pre-amp with a more detailed but harsher Sabre based dac in front. I was totally floored by the sound. I couldn't believe how much the sound improved. With the DP-777 as the pre-amp, it retains all the magic it previously had as the DAC which are mainly liquid and natural mid, big soundstage and sharp imaging. On top of that, with the more detailed and cleaner sound of Sabre-based DAC, the end result seemed to have combined the best of both worlds. After trying out with my old modded Eastern Electric Minimax DAC and achieved the great results, I immediately bought a new dual 9018 Sabre chip DAC to use together with the DP-777. As ridiculous as it may sound, it is tough to go back to just using DP-777 as the DAC alone in my chain. Last note, despite adding another component in my chain, the sound has never sounded as transparent as what I hear now. I am not sure if others will hear the same as me, but just thought of sharing my finding. I guess there is no harm trying if you happen to have another DAC around :)

Aug 22, 2014 at 2:09 PM Post #327 of 571
Recently, I have switched my use for DP-777 to function purely as a pre-amp in my chain and use a Sabre 9018 based DAC for the front end. I started out just trying out of curiosity how it would sound as a pre-amp with a more detailed but harsher Sabre based dac in front. I was totally floored by the sound. I couldn't believe how much the sound improved. With the DP-777 as the pre-amp, it retains all the magic it previously had as the DAC which are mainly liquid and natural mid, big soundstage and sharp imaging. On top of that, with the more detailed and cleaner sound of Sabre-based DAC, the end result seemed to have combined the best of both worlds. After trying out with my old modded Eastern Electric Minimax DAC and achieved the great results, I immediately bought a new dual 9018 Sabre chip DAC to use together with the DP-777. As ridiculous as it may sound, it is tough to go back to just using DP-777 as the DAC alone in my chain. Last note, despite adding another component in my chain, the sound has never sounded as transparent as what I hear now. I am not sure if others will hear the same as me, but just thought of sharing my finding. I guess there is no harm trying if you happen to have another DAC around
smily_headphones1.gif

That's an expensive pre to have.

Anyway, what kind of DAC was it? The one from your sig?

Well, I have Essence III, guess it's worth a shot once my DP-777SE arrives. Though in chain like that I can't think of anything better than ES9018 based source, not in around $3000 price range...

Aug 22, 2014 at 3:14 PM Post #328 of 571
That's an expensive pre to have.

Anyway, what kind of DAC was it? The one from your sig?

Well, I have Essence III, guess it's worth a shot once my DP-777SE arrives. Though in chain like that I can't think of anything better than ES9018 based source, not in around $3000 price range...

Yes, I thought it was really expensive to use it purely as a pre-amp too, (I will jump if there is a much cheaper pre-amp out there that will give me the same performance.) but it just work well in that manner. The DAC I am using now is L.K.S ES9018, a relatively cheap China-made dual 9018 DAC, which receives pretty good reviews in Hong Kong, with mod options in future. To be frank, my ears can't stand Sabre based DAC in general nowadays as I find them too shouty and unrefined even though they offer plenty of details. When I plug the L.K.S DAC or the Minimax DAC to my Stratus directly, I can't take the sound for more than 10 mins. That's why I think the tube output/pre-amp function of DP-777 is pretty special, as it is able to transform the Sabre chip sound to a much refined, natural sound and at the same time, enlarge the soundstage and improve the imaging. Is it worth $4000 to $5000? I don't know, but I am just happy it works out this well in my system.

Aug 22, 2014 at 3:21 PM Post #329 of 571
That's a good idea forger.  However, i'm going to wait and see what the upgrade has to offer before I do anything else..  

Well, no harm trying out together with your Master 7 :D

Aug 22, 2014 at 7:12 PM Post #330 of 571
I tried it with the Master 7, and I honestly didn't like it. It Didn't have that musical organic sound I'm use to with the DP-777 straight into my amp. I'll give it another shot tonight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back