Abbingdon Music Research DP-777 Thread
Feb 16, 2014 at 6:46 AM Post #226 of 571
Not yet (for the updated DP-777SE version). I called AMR couple of weeks ago and they told me it should be out very soon. According to them it should cost around £900 more than standard version.

Mar 8, 2014 at 8:02 PM Post #227 of 571
Just purchased the Ifi USB purifier. Used together with Ifi USB power and Gemini cable, the Ifi purifier produces better imagining and less digital glare. While the bass weight is reduced, it does not really bother me much. I thought it is a positive step towards a more realistic sound as the music sounds more natural and real, despite less impactful. With the purifier, the music is "beautiful" and more enjoyable to my sensitive ears.

Mar 9, 2014 at 4:14 AM Post #229 of 571
Just a quick update on my first three weeks with the AMR. It has been playing non stop through a sd card player on loop mode and thus has just passed the 500h mark. For more serious listening I switched to my jplay setup

While having been really amazed by the natural sound of instruments right from the start, depicting those instruments as real instruments compared to my little audio gd sabre dac, I felt there is a slight lack of details and bass extension in the beginning as well as a bit compressed soundstaging.
Somewhere around the 400h hour mark though all this started to change in a way not thought possible. I deliberately left the whole chain unchanged to test this much talked about burn in process.
And what can i say? It turns out to be true.
Detail retrieval is all there now, it seems, bass slam and punch have improved considerably and the soundstaging has become more holographic, 3D like.
It's so much fun to listen to this DAC now. It just draws me into the music. The whole presentation feels just right and music is the only thing left....

Looks like a keeper...with the looming upgrade possibility on the horizon even more so....

Recommended :D

Mar 9, 2014 at 6:02 AM Post #230 of 571
  I have a few question about the Lampi's:  How do they measure?  What the output impedance? What's the THD? and so on..

Not sure about those as each configuration varies from what I've been told when I had the demo at mine. Since it's best to get the straight facts out of the man himself either email a dealer (who are kept up to date on what they are selling) or email Lukaz himself.

There seems to be a prevailing notion that "the most accurate or neutral" sound must necessarily involve the kind of wispy, over-etched sound of devices like the DCS or of many solid amps, or of something like the Sennheiser HD-800 (sorry about stepping on toes here). 

Yeh I agree, the industry has moved away from "musical" to overhyping detail, more and MOAR detail to make it sound realistic to the listener (which music itself is not what's it about). Depends on which dCS you're referring to as being neutral, I know some local members from another board that have compared the Debussy with the Analog DAC and the AMR and the L4 Lamp and preferred the Lamp and AMR to both the Debussy and MSB Analog DAC. Things changed when the Debussy was hooked up to a Puccini CD player and a heavily modified Teac VRDS 10 as a transport, they preferred this over the other 3 options.

Mar 9, 2014 at 1:09 PM Post #231 of 571
  I know some local members from another board that have compared the Debussy with the Analog DAC and the AMR and the L4 Lamp and preferred the Lamp and AMR to both the Debussy and MSB Analog DAC. Things changed when the Debussy was hooked up to a Puccini CD player and a heavily modified Teac VRDS 10 as a transport, they preferred this over the other 3 options.

I can see this.  As being more enjoyable has nothing to do with having more detail.

Mar 9, 2014 at 5:16 PM Post #232 of 571
Yep. If i had the money I would go for an AMR and an MBL or Burmeister transport all up should total 16-19k, even though I haven't heard the AMR it sounds something right up my alleyway of preference with it resembling sound with the L4.

Mar 10, 2014 at 5:28 AM Post #233 of 571
  I saw this advertised a while ago - will look into trying it out.

Thanks Froger :)

You are welcome. By the way, did you just sell away your Stratus, so what's next for you?

Mar 17, 2014 at 2:24 AM Post #237 of 571
Yup, that's me.

By the way, I have been waiting for this too:
http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/index.php?/topic/62473-dac-shootout-gtg-saturday-15th-march/?fromsearch=1

Very fascinating shoot-out which involves a handful of super dacs (phasure, upgraded dp777, a new conception pdx, and a killer dac).

Mar 17, 2014 at 4:35 AM Post #238 of 571
Interesting read indeed, shame I'm not from the same state otherwise would've loved to be present there. There was another shootout while back with the L4 and few other high 4 figure DAC's.

Mar 17, 2014 at 12:30 PM Post #239 of 571
Very interesting, these guys are more on the extreme side than I am lol...  

I was one second from picking the Phasure over the AMR, I went with the AMR because it was much more flexible.  And the Phasure sounds it's best using the XXHighEnd software - I'm  JRiver man myself..

Note: As DefQon knows - I was very skeptical about tube based DACs.  I never heard of the PDX until today.  Never was interested in the Killer DAC anyway as it only plays red book and it only has an I2S input. 

It would have been great if they had a Lampi G4 L4 there as well.

This shoot out was done in a treated speaker room.  Very different sound from headphones.  If the shoot out was done with headphones I suspect the results would be all over the place with no particular winner.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back