Abandoned Places in the World
Nov 8, 2009 at 12:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

JMT

JMT Audio:PPA/META42 Amp Factory
I posted this over at the Hoffman forum, though you people would find it interesting;

Abandoned Places In The World

Here is a sample: Hashima Island near Nagasaki

gunka3.jpg

Nov 8, 2009 at 1:13 AM Post #4 of 21
Very cool. Seen pics of battleship island and Pripyat before, but the rest of those are new to me. Some of those are just surreal.

Nov 8, 2009 at 3:24 AM Post #9 of 21
Thanks! Very cool read and awesome pictures.

Nov 8, 2009 at 3:24 AM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffreyj900 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very interesting. I never heard of the two towns in the US. Wonder why they can't get the fire out in the one?

I read about Centralia not too long ago, actually.

I guess what happened is they used an old abandoned mine as a garbage dump, and set the garbage on fire. The fire caught onto some coal from the old mine, and has been going since. And I don't think it will run out of fuel for a long while.

So they can't get the fire out probably because it's almost impossible to access
confused_face_2.gif

Nov 8, 2009 at 3:48 AM Post #11 of 21
Wow, amazing find. Hashima Island and the two Italian towns really struck me as incredible places. Concerning Detroit, the city area is at like 50% of what it was at it's peak, while the metro area hasn't really changed population wise. So there is/was 900,000 people worth of empty living space in the city area of Detroit.

Nov 8, 2009 at 8:06 AM Post #13 of 21
Nice pictures, of some quite special places.
Pyramiden, Spitsbergen should have been mentioned as well though..

ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Nov 8, 2009 at 9:06 AM Post #14 of 21
Centralia must have been the inspiration for the Silent Hill movie. Awesome link, very cool stuff.

It's very eerie walking through abandoned areas/buildings. I did my practicum at Alberta Hospital, a mental health facility with a rich history. Several of the buildings on site are condemned. Naturally, we had to sneak off and tour them. Very cool! One of the buildings was used to shoot a horror movie (Ginger Snaps I believe). There was blood, guts and props all over the place!

Nov 8, 2009 at 6:39 PM Post #15 of 21
I had a friend not too long ago walk through an abandoned Russian oil ship (called the Neftegaz 20), and got some really creepy photos.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back