Abandoned balanced XLR, back to my SR-71
Jul 16, 2005 at 2:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

dshea_32665

100+ Head-Fier
In April I purchased an Apogee Mini DAC and before it arrived I sent my Mobius to have XLR connectors put on them. While I was waiting for my cable I listened with my stock cable with the Mini DAC and tested my SR-71 versus the headphone jack. I even started a thread "Have I outgrown my SR-71". Most people said no, that the SR-71 can stand up to sources much more expensive than mine. I then got my balanced Zu back and have been enjoying my new source very much. The Mini DAC is pretty amazing.

I decided to purchase an adapter from Zu, XLR to 1/4" because I want to be able to use my HD650 on other equipment. Well I got the adapter back. Since I have never listened to my HD650/Zu through the SR-71 with my Apogee, I thought I would give it a try. Here are my observations:

1. The balanced Zu is more "wet" than the SR-71. It has a nice shimmer to the sound which is similar to the headphone out. It is light, good bass and a very satisfying sound. It gives a slight reverberation which increases the sense space a little bit, but without sacrificing detail.

2. The SR-71 is slightly drier in that it lacks that shimmer. However, the mids and bass are more detailed and more present. The overall sound seems more balanced as well. The more I listen, I find that the RSA sound is really extraordinary.

Conclusion: I definitely prefer the SR-71 and yes it does easily keep up and improves upon this source. The more I listen to it, the more it is impressing me. It feels as if I have rediscovered the joy of spending time with an old friend. I will definitely be sticking with the amp and abandoning the balanced XLR. However, now I am feeling the urge to buy a large home amplifier, or perhaps I should buy music and wait.

I am also in the quandry of whether or not to send my Mobius back to put the regular connections on. The adapter is made of Mobius cable and they told me there should be no sound degredation. However, it is bulky to have male/female XLR connectors near the end of the cable. Any advice on whether I should get the cable reterminated?

cheers,
dshea

Users who are viewing this thread

Back