AAC to WAV is it worth it?
Jul 7, 2008 at 12:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Ra5cal

New Head-Fier
Hi

Having recently bought an M6 SL I was wondering if it was worth my while converting my existing collection of files (mainly AAC) to WAV? I tried it out last night (using Foobar2000) and then played a converted WAV on my Meizu back to back with the original AAC file.

The WAV sounded louder, but I was wondering if it was worth it? I've read that AAC files, like std MP3s, cut detail to minimize file size. If that is the case does converting the files to WAV restore detail that isn't/shouldn't still be there?

Your thoughts appreciated.

thanks

Russ

Jul 7, 2008 at 12:50 PM Post #2 of 3
Lossy compression is called that way because the information that is removed is lost forever. If it wasn't you imagine that every dap/software should be able to recreate the lossless file in real time, we wouldn't have the lossy vs lossless debate. So there's no difference between an aac and a wav that you obtained from an aac file, except for the size.

Encoding should always be from a higher bitrate (ideally lossless file or cd) to a lower bitrate (in the same codec if you're encoding from lossy to lossy). Encoding from for example aac to mp3 isn't great because mp3 and aac don't remove the same information, so in the end you get a file that has the losses of both mp3 and aac. Those losses might be not so important, but there's simply no point in doing it, except of course if your dap doesn't support a codec.Hope I'm clear
tongue.gif

Jul 7, 2008 at 2:02 PM Post #3 of 3
Hi Wildsurfer

Clear as crystal. When I begin ripping my CDs I will do it straight to FLAC. For now, my motley collection of music files will remain as is.

thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back