AAC Lossless or 300+
Oct 21, 2004 at 6:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

vienna

Head-Fier
Which would you go for ? Am I hearing things right ? I have ben buying music off of Itunes...$50 so far since I was too lazy to encode my own stuff. ThenI took out some of my favorite cds then made them lossless. Then 300 + mp3s....and let me tell you, they blew away the AACs I've been getting from itunes.

Is this right ? I'm in heaven....makes me want to get a nice Arcam now !!!

no more downloading mp3s for me !!

Oct 21, 2004 at 6:54 AM Post #2 of 8
Sure high bitrate MP3s can blow away lowbitrate AACs (or Ogg, MPC, etc.).

Do some more tests at AAC 192, 224, 256 and 320. Do the same for MP3 using the LAME encoder (check Hydrogenaudio.org for info) and its presets. Basically they can both sound very good at the right bitrates. MP3 has compatibility advantages. AAC has encoding speed (and quality at lower bitrates) advantages. Lossless obviously has others.

Oct 21, 2004 at 1:50 PM Post #4 of 8
LAME has been a godsend for me. I've tried all manner of AAC, and mp3 encoding, but when I discovered the LAME mp3 codec, I stopped searching. Just using the APS preset, my mp3's hover around 192k and sound great. And my music choices are schizo...from Metallica, to Steely Dan, to Brubeck.

Oct 21, 2004 at 1:59 PM Post #5 of 8
I'd be more inclined to buy off ITMS if they offered a higher bitrate option. Thing is, 128kbps is fine for probably 99.9% of their customers.

Scott

Oct 21, 2004 at 3:32 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by vienna
Which would you go for ? Am I hearing things right ? I have ben buying music off of Itunes...$50 so far since I was too lazy to encode my own stuff. ThenI took out some of my favorite cds then made them lossless. Then 300 + mp3s....and let me tell you, they blew away the AACs I've been getting from itunes.

Is this right ? I'm in heaven....makes me want to get a nice Arcam now !!!

no more downloading mp3s for me !!

I think you may be confused. AAC is not lossless. The stuff you get from
Apple iTunes store (128k aac) is marginal at best. You are much better off ripping your cds at 320 kps mp3, or, preferably real lossless.

Oct 21, 2004 at 7:15 PM Post #7 of 8
Edit: wrong topic

Cheers,
Geek

Oct 21, 2004 at 8:47 PM Post #8 of 8
Heay guy im pretty new here, and im loving it on here
280smile.gif
. I can add it to the small list of forums that i thoroughly enjoy contributing to!!

I am gonna get a 40 Gb ipod soon (i think its the way forward and im sick of carrying around mini discs). I want to settle on a format and bitrate. I am critical of sound and love a great quaility sound and tone. I dont mind having less space on the ipod as a result either.

In a nutshell what format and bit rate would you recomend for using through the itunes software? I was think a high bit rate AAC or the apple lossless, but the apple lossless takes up quiet abit of space

Users who are viewing this thread

Back