AAC complexity setting
Oct 23, 2005 at 2:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

unkoman

100+ Head-Fier
I just got my ipod and started using itune(vr.6) to encode AAC files. I have two questions:
1. How do I change the complexity level of AAC encoding?
2. Are there better AAC encoders than the itune?

Thanks

Oct 23, 2005 at 4:52 AM Post #2 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by unkoman
1. How do I change the complexity level of AAC encoding?

File / Preferences / Advanced / Importing

Quote:

Nope

See ya
Steve

Oct 23, 2005 at 5:16 AM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Thanks

It depends on the track. The Nero AAC encoder and the Apple AAC encoders produce similar quality tracks in general, but, one can be better than the other in some cases. If you want to try out another AAC encoder, I'd recommend the Nero one.

Oct 23, 2005 at 5:37 AM Post #4 of 6
Thanks for the replies. When I goto the imporitng option menu, I can only change the bitrate and other basic options. Every aac file that I encode is in low complexity mode.

Oct 23, 2005 at 7:14 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Thanks for the replies. When I goto the imporitng option menu, I can only change the bitrate and other basic options. Every aac file that I encode is in low complexity mode.

LC is probably adequate unless you're planning to encode under 128kbps. Many of the tools in the other profiles are designed for lower bitrate applications, so, they may not net audible performance advantages over LC in your use.

Also, many players are restricted to LC-only playback as it requires the least processing power, thereby keeping costs down for the manufacturer when selecting a decoding unit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back