AAC capable portables?
Oct 19, 2003 at 6:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

bjjp2

100+ Head-Fier
I've been downloading music from the iTunes music store. The downloads are in AAC format. I have an iPod, but am I going to be limited to iPod forever if I want to play these files? Are any of the other HD based players supporting AAC? If not, do people think they will in the future? (It would make sense, if they want to tap into the base of iTunes users).

Oct 19, 2003 at 6:20 PM Post #2 of 4
stupid ipod formats
smily_headphones1.gif
they should have open source firmware and then all the players could do it.

Oct 19, 2003 at 6:40 PM Post #3 of 4
Stupid comment on stupid ipod formats.

Right now AAC is only supported on the iPod. Unlike WMA (and what many seem to think about AAC) AAC isn't owned by Apple or any other one company. If AAC support increases as it has recently, there will likely be support on many players. Already there are several encoders. Run around Hydrogen Audio's AAC Forum for info on progress. How the DRM ("protected") iTMS AAC files get played/moved/etc. though is likely to be a matter for legal, not technical concerns. No one can really say about that yet. That's where you may want to be concerned.

I've actually transcoded the two albums I've purchased to Lame MP3's, but lossy to loss conversion does drop quality and is never recommended.

Finally, MP3 is still much more compatible and Ogg is gaining support too. We'll see how this plays out.

Oct 19, 2003 at 10:46 PM Post #4 of 4
As White knight pointed out, the Nokia N-gage device plays AAC files.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back