AAC & ALAC crackle... Hey, BlessingX!
Mar 24, 2005 at 1:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

46and2

Head-Fier
After many a private message with blessingX, I have decided to give apple's AAC a try. I ripped a favorite disc to do a little A-B testing with EAC/LAME. I first tried a 224AAC file and there's some crackling at the beginning of the first track that fades out ofter about ten seconds. Hrmmm. So I tried apple lossless. Same deal... BUT it's different crackle in a different spot, maybe 5-10 senconds later. I have no crackling on the EAC/LAME rips of the same album.

I have the latest version of iTunes.

Suggestions?

Mar 24, 2005 at 1:32 AM Post #3 of 37
Did you rip direct from your CD drive into iTunes? I have experienced multiple issues ripping to ALAC 'on the fly' from my NEC drive. Just don't think the drive is up to it. If I rip tracks to wav files into iTunes, then use 'convert to Apple Lossless' option, the problems are eliminated. Just one suggestion.

Mar 24, 2005 at 1:42 AM Post #4 of 37
Error correction - Yes

I am ripping on the fly, but ultimately, I don't want ALAC, I would like to have AAC. Is there a way to convert wav to AAC? If so, I can EAC myself...

Mar 24, 2005 at 1:46 AM Post #5 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by 46and2
Error correction - Yes

I am ripping on the fly, but ultimately, I don't want ALAC, I would like to have AAC. Is there a way to convert wav to AAC? If so, I can EAC myself...

Yep. After ripping to wav, just edit/preferences to change the import tab to AAC encoder. When you select 'convert' the only choice should be AAC.

Mar 24, 2005 at 2:30 AM Post #7 of 37
Please explain -- 'the business' ??

Mar 24, 2005 at 2:32 AM Post #8 of 37
Yo yo yo, blessingx in the house. Anyway, I've used iTunes to rip and encode to ALAC, AAC and MP3 on at least five computers (OS X, Win2K, WinXP) and not had that problem. Is it at the beginning of each track or only the first track of each CD (which it sounds like from your description)? You certainly can use EAC or another prog to rip, but please keep in mind WAV doesn't have native tag support, so you may lose it moving over to iTunes. You can use iTunes to rip in WAV or AIFF (with tags) then encode in ALAC, AAC or MP3. Try a rip in each WAV, AIFF and ALAC (which requires an invisible uncompressed state) and see if the issue happens at exactly the same spot.

Mar 24, 2005 at 2:35 AM Post #9 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by 46and2
Error correction - Yes

So are you saying it's best to have error correction "on"?

Mar 24, 2005 at 2:42 AM Post #10 of 37
Blessing... This is all your fault. i was perfectly content until this morning.

Ripping from EAC worked, but a PITA I relly don't want to go through ~300 times.

"The business" or crackle in my muzak, is at different spots in both the ALAC and the AAC.

I'm going to try another AAC rip and see if it is in the same spot.

Don't touch that dial.

Mar 24, 2005 at 2:58 AM Post #11 of 37
Okay, reripped in itunes AAC -- same crap in the same spot... What the heck could be up? The disc is in perfect shape.

I'm gonna try another disc, but I don't want to have to check every song...

Mar 24, 2005 at 3:02 AM Post #12 of 37
I'm telling you, there are some issues with iTunes/iPod and AAC/ALAC. I have several CDs I've ripped that have a long pause in the exact same spot during playback. I've simply attributed it to ALAC compression, but I really don't know - could be my CD drive or something else. I like the quality of ALAC compression, so I just live with it. I understand others wouldn't, but I got other stuff to worry about.

Mar 24, 2005 at 3:45 AM Post #13 of 37
Update!

ACC'd another album, same problems in the same spot on the first track. What?
rolleyes.gif

Turns out there are problems throughout... Back to EAC/LAME for this mofo.
biggrin.gif

Mar 24, 2005 at 4:43 AM Post #14 of 37
What I do nowadays is to use EAC and rip it into an image (basically it is a full length WAV file of the CD) and create a cue sheet for it.

Then when I need to import it into iTunes (or anything else for that matter) all I have to do is just load the cue sheet up on a virtual CD device, and rip away!
k1000smile.gif

Perfect rips everytime*

*Provided your EAC rip was perfect
lambda.gif

Mar 24, 2005 at 10:04 PM Post #15 of 37
I bet there's a problem with Quicktime on your comp. iTunes uses Quicktime to encode. I bet if you downloaded the most recent QT and installed it, it would fix your problem. You also might try encoding without any other programs running.

See ya
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back