aaaahhhh, you won't believe what happened
Mar 22, 2003 at 1:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

bcwang

500+ Head-Fier
-Ordered Grado RS1 3 weeks ago
-Finally gets delivered yesterday after lots of waiting and anticipation, building manager signs for it
-building manager leaves package behind my screen door at 12:05 on his way out to lunch
-I get home at 12:10 to pick up the package, and it's gone!!!!

UPS insurance won't cover it because it's already been signed for. I happened to buy it with an amex card, but because of the exact circumstances with me not being in control of the item at the time of theft, they denied my claim!

This morning some anonymous tipper called the building manager and mentioned he saw people running to my door and taking a package. So now I have some car descriptions and a license plate number which I told the police but I don't know if anything is going to result from this. I hope they do find it and that it's still unopened, because if any of you are like me, when I buy something new I expect it to be perfect, but if some thief has already put their hands on it, and probably tried blasting it through his own stereo, then it's gonna just bug me. But that's even if they can recover it. Most likely it's gone, just like my money.

I can't believe this happened, and I can't believe Amex won't cover this. I'm so upset right now about this whole situation, it's a heck of a lot of money to just write off as a loss!

Mar 22, 2003 at 1:45 AM Post #2 of 43
Man, that blows BIG time.
I would continue to bitch at AMEX to see if you can re-coop at least some of your money back.

It's because of crap like this that I get big ticket items delivered at work.
mad.gif

Mar 22, 2003 at 1:53 AM Post #3 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by bcwang
UPS insurance won't cover it because it's already been signed for. I happened to buy it with an amex card, but because of the exact circumstances with me not being in control of the item at the time of theft, they denied my claim!

This morning some anonymous tipper called the building manager and mentioned he saw people running to my door and taking a package. So now I have some car descriptions and a license plate number which I told the police but I don't know if anything is going to result from this. I hope they do find it and that it's still unopened, because if any of you are like me, when I buy something new I expect it to be perfect, but if some thief has already put their hands on it, and probably tried blasting it through his own stereo, then it's gonna just bug me. But that's even if they can recover it. Most likely it's gone, just like my money.

I can't believe this happened, and I can't believe Amex won't cover this. I'm so upset right now about this whole situation, it's a heck of a lot of money to just write off as a loss!

What? Did you happen to tell anyone that you were buying these cans? I think for this, i would declare war on everyone in my neighborhood and go on a rampage!!!! What's the manager got to say?

mad.gif

Mar 22, 2003 at 2:28 AM Post #4 of 43
Another thing that I keep thinking is, if I had been home 5 minutes earlier this wouldn't have happened at all.

I've already called AMEX 3 times and kept trying to convince them from so many angles. But they just won't budge. The thing that really pisses me off is if I had lied and made up a different story then it could have been a valid claim! But of course it's too late for that now, they have my first statement on file. To think being honest would bring good things to you, not in this case!

You know who the people were that took it? It was people who were talking to the manager 15 minutes before hand asking about availability of apts. They actually left and drove back. They might have been from out of town though so that'll make them harder to catch. I really hope they get caught, those guys have put me through emotional hell these 2 days. The interesting thing is, I don't think they know they just commited grand larceny, the value of the headphone easily breaks the >$400 mark to be considered grand larceny.

Mar 22, 2003 at 2:52 AM Post #5 of 43
I'm not an expert on this stuff, but it seems to me that UPS can't get themselves off the hook quite so easily. You didn't sign for it, period. What if one of the creeps who stole it had signed for it?

UPS has been getting away with some incredible BS lately. I've come home and found expensive goods sitting on my front porch in the rain, even though I'd left a big note and specifically requested that they NOT leave it if nobody were home.

I don't think that your beef is with AMEX, I think it's still with UPS. Don't walk away from that one quite so easily. Fight for it...I'm betting that they eventually have to make good on it.

Mar 22, 2003 at 3:03 AM Post #6 of 43
Perhaps you have some sort of homeowners insurance or something? Since the headphones were at your residence, you can probably get them replaced through insurance, thought you will have to pay a deductible I assume.

Mar 22, 2003 at 3:07 AM Post #7 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by radrd
Perhaps you have some sort of homeowners insurance or something? Since the headphones were at your residence, you can probably get them replaced through insurance, thought you will have to pay a deductible I assume.

No, if you claim it on Homeowners the possible rate hike is WAY more over the long run than the RS-1's are worth. Better to take it up with UPS.

Mar 22, 2003 at 3:11 AM Post #8 of 43
I wish I had some form of insurance that could cover this, but I just live at an apartment and don't really own enough stuff that the premium for insurance would probably not be worth it even if everything I had was gone. Well, that depends on how much it actually costs to get insurance.

Hmm, I wonder if I can stick this on UPS somehow. UPS has been letting my building manager sign for packages for years. They might turn around and blame it on the building manager. I don't want that to happen but I want someone to be responsible.

Mar 22, 2003 at 4:38 AM Post #10 of 43
What!??!?!? This is ridiculous. YOU DIDN'T SIGN FOR IT. YOU ARE NOT LIABLE. Keep calling and tell them anyone could have signed for it, and since it wasn't YOU, you are not paying and you shouldn't pay. Stress that YOU didn't sign for it and you didn't AUTHORIZE the person that did sign for it, so the burden of proof is on THEM not YOU. If nothing else, cancel your card and put a dispute on the remaining balance.

Mar 22, 2003 at 4:40 AM Post #11 of 43
sorry to hear about your situation, I'm going through some audio related troubles of my own now, but, I work full time in shipping and receiving and ups should not have been able to let someone other than you (the persons name on the package) for a residential delivery, unless it is a hospital (in my case) or some other industrial site where multiple people receive packages in the same drop off site. So if I were you I would start by telling ups that they are the responsible party here and you expect some sort of restitution, and be firm with them, you did not sign for the package, the driver just wanted to get rid of it, believe me it happens all the time with ups. don't let them get away with it.

Mar 22, 2003 at 5:23 AM Post #12 of 43
Keep an eye out on eBay, and tell everyone in your building to keep an eye out for anyone wearing wooden headphones.

Mar 22, 2003 at 6:10 AM Post #13 of 43
to be honest - your manager is partly to blame too.

also you have a case with UPS coz the first time they deliver - it should be you or someone in your household that signs.

they can only let other people sign if they missed you 1 time and left a notice and in the notice you give them permission to deliver to other people to sign .

Mar 22, 2003 at 6:12 AM Post #14 of 43
If you didn't specifically provide authorization to UPS to allow your manager to sign for the package, THEY are liable for it. Period. Don't let them weasel out of it. If they hassle you, ask to speak to a supervisor. If the supervisor won't agree, ask to speak to their supervisor. Finally, if the highest-level person won't agree to reimburse you, politely ask them the address where you should have them served (i.e., threaten to sue).

If that doesn't work, small claims court.

UPS is the bad guy here.

Mar 22, 2003 at 7:24 AM Post #15 of 43
I know my manager is partly to blame, but he does this as a favor for all of us or none of us would ever get packages without a big hassle of driving to UPS to pick it up. The past 25 years here, nothing has ever happened, so he was just doing as he always has. I'd like to leave him out of this, and let some company soak up the loss, as opposed to any individual, including myself.

So no matter what they say, if I didn't sign the official UPS form giving consent to leave the package, they aren't supposed to do so? If that's true, I think this is something I can tell them. I do know that UPS always gives it to the manager when no one is home to get the package themselves, but if that's not what they're supposed to do, then....

I'm sure the thief was not from my complex or any immediate neighbors. We all know each other well, and there have been a few witnesses to the actual thieves.

You know one of the hardest parts of this is, when people (police, claims agent) ask you what was the value of the package, then they ask what the item was in the package. They always give me this stare like they're wondering if they heard correctly, or maybe they're wondering if I must be insane buying a headphone that costs that much money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back