aaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Jul 31, 2017 at 3:44 PM Post #2 of 8
Find the best used one you can, IMO, the 250ohm isn't actually terribly hard to drive but more power will help.

Jul 31, 2017 at 7:19 PM Post #4 of 8
JDS Labs BB cMoy with twin 9 volt handily walked all over (audiophool speak for sounded better) the Fiio A3 I had for testing at the Westone mini meet a few years ago. Actually the cMoy can keep you happy for years since you can roll the opamp. For some ideas on flavors read my blog post on the JDS C421.

The dac in the form of SOC in most phones are pretty decent, where most fall down is the amp especially with something more than 32 ohms. Having owned the DT-880 I can tell you the cMoy will drive them.

Most under $200 dac/amp combos made for OTG compatibility will not be significantly better than the simple JDS cMoy and your phone's dac.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2017 at 8:29 PM Post #5 of 8
The A3 is not going to be your best option for the 250 ohm DT880. Personally, I think you should save and wait until a more appropriate DAC/amp can be afforded, one with an amp that will really drive your headphones appropriately. That's just me, and YMMV, of course.

Aug 1, 2017 at 8:47 AM Post #6 of 8
JDS Labs BB cMoy with twin 9 volt handily walked all over (audiophool speak for sounded better) the Fiio A3 I had for testing at the Westone mini meet a few years ago. Actually the cMoy can keep you happy for years since you can roll the opamp. For some ideas on flavors read my blog post on the JDS C421.

The dac in the form of SOC in most phones are pretty decent, where most fall down is the amp especially with something more than 32 ohms. Having owned the DT-880 I can tell you the cMoy will drive them.

Most under $200 dac/amp combos made for OTG compatibility will not be significantly better than the simple JDS cMoy and your phone's dac.

How small can this dac / amp be ? I'm thinking of forgoing a dedicated Dap as I'm using it only for commuting

Aug 1, 2017 at 9:20 AM Post #7 of 8
I think one of the Dragonfly's can be driven by your phone's USB out too? and it's the size of a usb drive

Users who are viewing this thread

Back