AA Rechargeables for WM-D6c
Dec 19, 2001 at 4:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

JML

Headphoneus Supremus
I want to get 4 rechargeable AA batteries for a Sony WM-D6c (the classic pro-level Dolby C cassette recorder/player). Radio Shack sells NiMH AAs rated at 1600 mAh. (The Sony is supposed to get 4 hours out of the 4 alkaline AAs.) RS sells several chargers, and I wondered if anyone has experience with those batteries and chargers. I want a fast charger that discharges the batteries fully beforehand. They have #23-425 for $28, which charges 4 NiMH in 2.17 hours; there's also a #273-1900 for $40 that looks like a great solution to the battery problem and my need for an AC Adapter -- it charges 4 AA NiMH and also is an AC Adapter with an AdaptaPlug and has output voltages from 3 to 9 VDC, 6W max.

Opinions or alternate suggestions? Anyone know what AdaptaPlug would be the right one for the Sony? Sony does not sell their standard 6V adapter anymore...

Dec 19, 2001 at 4:28 PM Post #2 of 15
(This is also posted on another forum in Head-Fi because similar topics appeared in both places before. Sorry for the duplication, moderators.)

I want to get 4 rechargeable AA batteries for a Sony WM-D6c (the classic pro-level Dolby C cassette recorder/player). Radio Shack sells NiMH AAs rated at 1600 mAh. (The Sony is supposed to get 4 hours out of the 4 alkaline AAs.) RS sells several chargers, and I wondered if anyone has experience with those batteries and chargers. I want a fast charger that discharges the batteries fully beforehand. They have #23-425 for $28, which charges 4 NiMH in 2.17 hours; there's also a #273-1900 for $40 that looks like a great solution to the battery problem and my need for an AC Adapter -- it charges 4 AA NiMH and also is an AC Adapter with an AdaptaPlug and has output voltages from 3 to 9 VDC, 6W max.

Opinions or alternate suggestions? Anyone know what AdaptaPlug would be the right one for the Sony? Sony does not sell their standard 6V adapter anymore...

Dec 19, 2001 at 4:37 PM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by JML

Bring the player in to Radio Shack. Most of them have a big bundle of cables near the AC adapter display with all the different adaptaplugs available to play with. You can keep trying them until you find the right fit.

Dec 19, 2001 at 7:56 PM Post #4 of 15
It is no longer posted in two forums
wink.gif
I merged the two threads.

Please only post in one forum. Thanks.

Dec 19, 2001 at 8:06 PM Post #5 of 15
I can't help you with your problem with any certainty but I would imagine the 1600 batteries would pretty much do the business. Some of the more advanced chargers for Nickel Metal Hydride batteries do feature a discharge facility which can help keep the batteries in top condition.

When looking for a power supply, aim for something which can offer >750 Mh - that should do the trick. I'm guessing, but I would think it's likely that the later power supplies that Sony gives with their portable discman players will not really give the player sufficient amperage - just a guess but I know the D6 has some pretty power-hungry components in it.

Be careful with polarity though - I suspect that Sony kit from that era was not very tolerant of wrong settings.

BTW - congratulation on owning probably one of the finest cassette recorders ever made - certainly the best portable. I bet the headphone output on that player is rated at 30+Mw per channel. Seriously cool bit of kit.

I hope this helps.

Dec 19, 2001 at 10:20 PM Post #6 of 15
Thanks, and sorry for the dual posts.

The alkaline AAs are 1.5 v, and the NiMH are 1.2 v, so the voltage will be a bit lower to start, I guess. The two AC adapters exceed the Sony transformer's capabilities -- the "universal-series" compact transformer puts out 1000 mA and the battery charger model with selectable voltage says it goes up to 6 watts!

I found that Thompson Distributing sells new AA NiMH it says have 1700+ aH ratings -- anyone try those?

I am waiting for UPS to deliver the WM-D6c. I have an Aiwa HS-PC204 from the same era, player-only, with Dolby B and C, and it's all metal, solid as a rock, but ageing. The bass isn't as good as I'd like via headphones -- even though it's rated at 15mW at 32 ohms and 20 mW at 16 ohms.

Feb 28, 2002 at 6:09 PM Post #7 of 15
JML, where did you get your WM-D6C from, if I might ask?

Feb 28, 2002 at 8:42 PM Post #8 of 15
As if its a pheonix rising from the ashes, this thread pops back to life.....

Quote:

Originally posted by Peddler
BTW - congratulation on owning probably one of the finest cassette recorders ever made - certainly the best portable. I bet the headphone output on that player is rated at 30+Mw per channel. Seriously cool bit of kit.

Peddler, i have to agree with you... Sony started manufacturing this tape 'deck' (if you've seen one you'll see why I call it that) some 15 years ago (1986 if memory serves me correctly) and it cost a whopping £300!!

It has got a cult status among analogue tape enthusiasts, some albums were even recorded using the D6C!! (NO BS Whatsoever!)

They are still made to this day, and can still be bought in London (and I daresay many other places) for a price VERY close to its original RRP!! - Now, how many products do you know that can hold their value for so long? this Walkman, and the Technics DJ deck maybe?

Its an amazing purchase, and I know for a fact that if I hadn't thrown all of my Sony Metal Master Pro tapes out (after my Panasonic Walkman ate them all
frown.gif
) which cost me £17!! each for the 90 minute version (ceramic housing... oh so sexy) that i'd seriously consider buying one... but, I have no use for cassette these days!

wm-d6c.gif

and... to prove its still being sold today... click here

Great find JML, and thank you Audio Redneck for bringing this thread back from the archives
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 28, 2002 at 10:25 PM Post #9 of 15
RS sells the 1600mah AA's for something like $17.95 for 4.

Costco has Panasonic brand 1600 mah AA's at $12.95 for 6. I've bought 2 packs, 12 batteries and an RS 23-425 charger. It will discharge and recharge and computer/sensor controlled. AAA, AA, C, D and 9 volt.

No AC adaptor though, but I've got enough batteries that I don't need it.

The 1600's seem to klast longer the alkalines in my battery hungry Kenwood pcdp. I get a full 3+ hours from NiMH and 2.5+ from alkalines.

Mar 1, 2002 at 12:20 AM Post #10 of 15
I got mine from Etronics. The first was defective (bad motor or something, the tape hesitated on recording or playback), but the second is perfect.

Etronics is a good place to deal with if you know exactly what you want, and they have excellent prices. They're also a legitimate Sony dealer. (I found one or two places that seemed lower in price, but they were out of stock, unresponsive to questions, or charged more for shipping.) The website is a bit slow to load, but it accurately reflects stock. They ship the same or next day, via UPS, and pack things very, very well. Good return policy on the defective item. But like most mass-market discounters, if you open it, and don't like it, you may have trouble with returning it unless it is defective -- find the policy and read it very carefully. I've bought four things from them, and recommend them if you are ready to buy and will keep something you really want.

On my desktop, I'm using the Radio Shack filtered and regulated 3-12 V 800 mA adapter, with the M plug, tip negative (same as the D-25S). The Sony adapter is no longer available -- it was 6V and 750 mA (neither filtered nor regulated). I also got the 6V 1000 mA regulated international adapter (the tiny little thing).

I bought 1800 mA Nexcell AA batteries and an Altek fast charger from Thomas Distributing. The WM-D6C takes four AAs. I didn't time the batteries' life between charges, but they last through about 4 90-minute tapes; so figure the life is something like 3-4 hours (with the display LEDs turned off except to monitor battery charge). They work very well. Consistent power output until they're empty. Then they stop. I will time the battery life if anyone is interested, but they seemed to last at least as long as a set of Duracell Alkalines. But the variables with the batteries are whether or not I'm using the lineout or the amplifier, whether the LEDs are on or off for recording or playback (or just switched off), the length of the tape in the unit, and the cans they're driving via the amp.

It sounds wonderful -- and I can't hear *any* Dolby C mistracking with TDK Metal tapes (MA-90, MA-110, and antique & rare MAR-90 reference cassettes) recorded in my recently-tweaked Nakamichi. Some very slight differences in high frequency and true low frequency response, but that's absolutely normal for tapes recorded on another unit. It is harder to record on this than on a regular unit, because the level indicators are fewer than on my Nakamichi. Tapes recorded on this unit directly from my D-25S CD player sound almost identical to the original.

Portable? Well, it's pretty large! But it is built out of metal, and the workmanship and materials are top-notch. It's a great thing to use on your desk. Plenty of power, too. If you have to carry it, the cover for the unit, and the strap, are well-built! I'm waiting for a Pelican Micro case to keep it in, and right now I keep it in a Polartec drawstring bag that fits exactly (luck).

It was the concert-tapers' weapon of choice until DAT came out. And yes, many live concert albums were recorded on this unit. If you went to any Grateful Dead concerts, this was the ONLY thing you saw tapers using (legally).

The MDR-51L phones they pack with it were interesting. They're small open supraural cans, very comfortable, and made very well (lots of metal and quality plastic and rubber). The Sony Parts price is $80, but the real price for these when they were sold alone was probably something like $35. The midrange is OK, the bass is surprisingly good but mostly mid-bass, but the highs are really irritating (break-in made no appreciable difference). If the highs were better, they'd be a nice thing to carry around. I packed 'em away, but will try them again with my Corda HA-1 just to see if there are any surprises there.

Mar 3, 2002 at 1:05 PM Post #11 of 15
JML: I've used mine mostly with some Sanyo 600 mA NC cells without any problems, so you'll probably fare even better with modern NiMH cells. And I'd recommend you to use the WM-D6C carefully - it tends to get a broken pcb easily (like my first unit - the second one never showed any problems).

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

P.S.: I've got an Aiwa HS-PC202MIII, by the way (your PC204 doesn't have mechanical buttons for the tape transport anymore, does it?)- I think it sounds even better than the WM-D6C. And I also have the WM-DC2 - not so very much recommended. The big Sonys came with nice walkman style headphones though, btw, at least over here. The Aiwa only sported rather mediocre earbuds...

Mar 3, 2002 at 3:08 PM Post #12 of 15
Definitely one of the very best portable cassette recorders, but calling it one of the best including non-portables is going WAY too far!

They are currently available from full line Sony dealers (i.e., those who get the ES line as well as the cheaper stuff), but I wonder if Sony is actually manufacturing these today or just as a supply.

However, I can't understand the why these are desirable for today for most people. I thought about getting one when my D-3 Pro was getting unreliable and noisy, but it seemed clear to me that mini-disc offered much superior sound for less money, much smaller size, plus easy digital-domain dubbing (with a home deck).

Mar 3, 2002 at 4:50 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Definitely one of the very best portable cassette recorders, but calling it one of the best including non-portables is going WAY too far!

It was listed on Stereophile's Recommended Components list for longer than perhaps any other piece of equipment ever made. There have been few cassette players that could better the sound, and most of those were from Nakamichi.

Quote:

They are currently available from full line Sony dealers (i.e., those who get the ES line as well as the cheaper stuff), but I wonder if Sony is actually manufacturing these today or just as a supply.

It is still made in Japan (not a sticker, mind you, but a molded plastic part of the case).

Quote:

However, I can't understand the why these are desirable for today for most people. I thought about getting one when my D-3 Pro was getting unreliable and noisy, but it seemed clear to me that mini-disc offered much superior sound for less money, much smaller size, plus easy digital-domain dubbing (with a home deck).

I have a Nakamichi deck for my regular setup. I have a cassette deck in my car. I have many recorded cassettes made from LPs. I have no faith in minidisc surviving as a format in the US, and I have no interest in duplicating my music in yet another recorded format that would require me to invest in at least two other pieces of equipment.

The Aiwa sits in my office at school, as a source for Monsoons there. The Sony sits on my desk at home. I can use the Sony as the source for my home desktop Monsoons, or in another room. My regular setup is in the same room as my desk, but sometimes I want to use the desktop speakers and not my headphones (heresy, I know).

And I always wanted one.

Quote:

I've got an Aiwa HS-PC202MIII, by the way (your PC204 doesn't have mechanical buttons for the tape transport anymore, does it?)- I think it sounds even better than the WM-D6C. And I also have the WM-DC2 - not so very much recommended. The big Sonys came with nice walkman style headphones though, btw, at least over here. The Aiwa only sported rather mediocre earbuds...

The PC-204 has only mechanical buttons. Play, ff, rew, and stop, plus an autoreverse slider. I bought it about 15 years ago, because I wanted a Walkman-style Dolby-C unit and didn't want to spend the money for either of the two Sony units (in hindsight, I should have bought them...). The Aiwa doesn't sound anywhere as good as the Sony, but it was the only other portable machine I've ever seen that had Dolby C. There's no lineout, and the sound is more veiled, less dynamic, and muddier.

The Aiwa came with crummy supraural or earbud headphones that are long gone (I can't remember, and the instructions for the unit don't show them). The Sony's headphones are the old-style cans, and they're comfortable, but the highs are harsh.

Apr 25, 2002 at 9:33 PM Post #14 of 15
Just as an addendum to Duncan's post above, I bought my WM-D6C in 1984, and don't remember their being marketed as a brand-new model even then; they had already been out for a couple of years..

The unit still records and plays well, although I imagine my new MZ-N1 minidisc recorder will be used for any future recording (mostly acoustic guitar, banjo and fiddle).

Dave in SLC

Sony WM-D6C
Panasonic SL-CT570
Airhead
Sony MDR-M77

Users who are viewing this thread

Back