AA battery hack!
Apr 14, 2010 at 5:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

freakydrew

500+ Head-Fier
I am usually the last to know about things like this, but it was just send to me so I thought I would share in the off chance there is someone else who did not know....I have not tried this so no clue if it is true or not.

I saved the video on my computer, but the upload failed so I can't share the video and can't access Youtube from work....

apparently if you take the lid off of a 6v lantern battery, cut the wires, you will find 32 standard AA batteries....lantern batteries are about six bucks....

save some money!

oh and if someone can upload the video it is from gagfilms.com

I ran across this, so maybe the whole thing is a lark:

http://www.hoax-slayer.com/6-volt-battery-hack.shtml

?????

Apr 14, 2010 at 5:25 PM Post #2 of 12
usually, I get these emails and I go straight to Snopes.com or someplace else and am usually VERY skeptical...instead today, I get this battery hack and immediately think of my Head fi comrades and how much money can be saved by doing this...
apparently it is a hoax and the website gagfilms.com should have been my first clue.

I feel shame.

smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 14, 2010 at 5:30 PM Post #3 of 12
It's plausible, and some factory may have actually done it at some point.

I used to play around with an RF pen tablet, which needed an AAAA cell in the pen. AAAA cells are tricky to find, so, like most people at the time, I just cracked open a 9v battery.

The six AAAA cells in the duracell 9v weren't very nice, mind you, but they did work.

Last time i opened up a 9v alkaline battery, it had six flat rectangular cells stacked on top of each other. Which, when you think about it, is a more efficient use of space anyway.

Apr 14, 2010 at 10:51 PM Post #6 of 12
amazing!

Apr 15, 2010 at 1:32 AM Post #7 of 12
Are people really this naive? If you have a 6V battery, how could you possibly have 32 1.5V batteries inside it? That would be 48V.

What is really inside these batteries are 4 x 1.5V batteries that are similar in size to D batteries but longer.

Conservative power ratings for good quality alkaline-manganese dioxide batteries:

Battery Type......Capacity (mAh)......Typical Drain (mA)
........D...................12000................. ......200
........C.....................6000................ .......100
.......AA....................2000................. ........50
.......AAA..................1000.................. .......10
........N......................650................ .........10
.....9 Volt...................500........................ .15
6 Volt Lantern..........11000.......................300

Apr 15, 2010 at 2:26 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are people really this naive? If you have a 6V battery, how could you possibly have 32 1.5V batteries inside it?

Four groups of 8 paralleled cells, of course.

Apr 15, 2010 at 4:55 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Buy some rechargeable sanyo eneloops?

I second this. Why buy disposables when you could use low self discharge rechargeables instead? The upfront cost is higher but you'll save cash in the long run. Eneloops stay charged for an extended period of time so I always leave some in a drawer charged and ready for use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back