A900s suffocating my ears
Jun 13, 2006 at 11:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

Firevortex

100+ Head-Fier
well i have a pair of 900LTDs. i cant seem to listen to them pass the 1hr mark with out taking it off and let my ears cool down. the thing just gets really hot after an hr of listening and thats during a 8c winter night! i cant imagine listening to them during summer. so does any one else have the same problem?
mad.gif

Jun 13, 2006 at 11:52 AM Post #2 of 36
Hahahaa...
I just experienced the exact same thing last night! I quickly switched to my HD595 afterwards!
icon10.gif

But right now it's 30 degrees in the Netherlands, last night it was 27 degrees! However, in the winter I did not experienced such thing. The A900LTD are extremely comfortable then!
rolleyes.gif

Jun 13, 2006 at 11:56 AM Post #3 of 36
I had the same problem with my A500s (Though my ears never actually got sweaty; whenever they were warm I'd simply take my headphones off and let my ears breathe for a few minutes) during the summer. However, I have 3 fans running in my room 24/7 and if need be, I also have air conditioning. Even under these conditions my ears became really hot with the A500s after the 2 hour mark.

Thankfully, I have no such problem with my SA5000s. I feared that the leather (Pleather? Certainly doesn't seem like the pleather that was in the A500s to me, but I could be wrong) ear pads would really heat up my ears, but they actual make minimal contact with the area around my ears (The main reason why the A500s made my ears so hot; there's too much contact between the pads and my head).

BTW, you guys should really try listening to an Ax00 can for a really long time in a room with multiple fans and air conditioning. When your ears get EXTREMELY hot, try taking your headphones off and see what you feel. Honest to god's truth, it's EXACTLY like those Sierra Mist commercials
biggrin.gif

Jun 13, 2006 at 11:59 AM Post #4 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure
I had the same problem with my A500s (Though my ears never actually got sweaty; whenever they were warm I'd simply take my headphones off and let my ears breathe for a few minutes) during the summer. However, I have 3 fans running in my room 24/7 and if need be, I also have air conditioning. Even under these conditions my ears became really hot with the A500s after the 2 hour mark.

Thankfully, I have no such problem with my SA5000s. I feared that the leather (Pleather? Certainly doesn't seem like the pleather that was in the A500s to me, but I could be wrong) ear pads would really heat up my ears, but they actual make minimal contact with the area around my ears (The main reason why the A500s made my ears so hot; there's too much contact between the pads and my head).

BTW, you guys should really try listening to an Ax00 can for a really long time in a room with multiple fans and air conditioning. When your ears get EXTREMELY hot, try taking your headphones off and see what you feel. Honest to god's truth, it's EXACTLY like those Sierra Mist commercials
biggrin.gif

I have a similar situation, and my ears have never gotten that hot.

Jun 13, 2006 at 12:17 PM Post #5 of 36
is there a solution to this?
frown.gif
well the headphone is comfortable and all with the fit/soft padding but i cant imagine me putting it on summer time....

Jun 13, 2006 at 12:22 PM Post #6 of 36
My ears get itchy rather than hot, but when I go to the toilet I take them off. So even 8-9 hours music listening is never actually 100% solid.

Jun 13, 2006 at 12:45 PM Post #7 of 36
I remember getting sweaty ears with Sony MDR-V6, but I don't remember have the same problem with A500.

Jun 13, 2006 at 12:57 PM Post #8 of 36
I don't think there's a closed can out there that this doesn't happen with...

Jun 13, 2006 at 1:17 PM Post #9 of 36
Summer is Grado time for me.

Jun 13, 2006 at 1:18 PM Post #10 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio

IMO, it's a function of the material on the pads, and not whether the back of the phone was open or not.

I've always found velour or good pleather pads never bothered me, while vinyl pads (I'm looking at you, Ultrasone) were like wearing a sweat suit.

Pleather seems to have some variance in either its quality (some brands are extremely soft, maybe?) or in a person's tolerance for it... maybe both. How tightly the pleather-padded phones fit might figure into this, too. I can't say I've ever compared it directly.

Jun 13, 2006 at 1:37 PM Post #11 of 36
Quote:

^True.

Sadly, these kinds of problems are only ever going to happen to people like us
evil_smiley.gif
....the people who listen to music and appreciate it so much more with good quality headphones. The average person who tries out the A900LTDs for a 1/2 hour will most likely love their comfort, and think they are pretty neat and all. The A900s to them would be exceptional quality, especially if they are used to hearing iBuds or other cheapies/stocks from discount stores etc.

I guess we have to just 'get used to it' and learn to live with the otherwise amazing sound equipment we own and treasure oh so much
biggrin.gif
. Just think about all the good points of your favorite phones. People forget just how good their cans really are sometimes. I mean really. We all own really nice headphones on head-fi...love them and they will love you back...
biggrin.gif

Come to think of it, I find clip on style (KSC75s) and those 'clamping' phones (like the HD25's, K81DJ) to be much worse for exetended listening. Even with velour pads on the HD25. Having said all that, I've learned to live with it all. Eveything has it's pro's and con's. That's life.

Next, someone will probably post a complaint that ears get too cold with their open headphones (that was all supposed to be a joke, ok!).
rolleyes.gif

Jun 13, 2006 at 2:06 PM Post #12 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Firevortex
is there a solution to this?
frown.gif
well the headphone is comfortable and all with the fit/soft padding but i cant imagine me putting it on summer time....

Yes there is, for me atleast.

I swapped the stock A900 pleather pads for the A1000 leather pads. The leather pads don't stick to your skin like the cheap pleather does and it always feels cool even in nasty hot humid weather (which we get plenty of in New York). It does change the sound of the headphone though, since the pad isn't sealing as well you lose some bass quantity.

Jun 13, 2006 at 2:57 PM Post #13 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkninja67
Summer is Grado time for me.

Granted, I like Grados the most anyway and will be once again labeled as the GS1000 poster child... but...

For long term listening, the GS1000 has been the lightest, most comfortable, least warm headphone I've had. This is in comparison to other headphones I've owned and had on my head for 5+ hours:

DT880
HD650
DT770
MS2i
SR60 / with flats or bowls
RS1

Jun 13, 2006 at 3:06 PM Post #14 of 36
Quote:

This is in comparison to other headphones I've owned and had on my head for 5+ hours:

DT880

Hard to believe they are more comfortable than the 880s. I will take your word on it as I do not intend to own the GS1Ks.

Jun 13, 2006 at 3:13 PM Post #15 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkninja67
Hard to believe they are more comfortable than the 880s. I will take your word on it as I do not intend to own the GS1Ks.

It's hard to believe, I know. The main difference is that the DT880 got rather hot during summer months (velour and such) but the GS1k doesn't seem to at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back