A900s Make Work Better But...
Oct 1, 2007 at 9:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

cgrums

100+ Head-Fier
I do the vast majority of my lengthy listening sessions at work. I'm a mechanical engineer and I spend a fair amount of my time at the computer working in my own world. My motivation for music at work is two-fold:

1. I love working to music and do better when I can.

2. The gentleman that sits immediately next to me hums. I'm not talking 'hums a tune' hums but am referring more to the 'I go home at night and skin cats' humming. It's toneless, erratic and drives me absolutely nuts.

I've recently finished upgrading the work-based listening station and while I"m happy for the moment, I'm already thinking about what I'd like to continue improving upon. I started with a Pimeta (class A, opa627/637, stacked buf634s) + recabled AKG K81DJs. Having recently finished a second CK^2III I've brought that into the office and have recently picked up a pair of mint AT A900s from a fellow head-fier.

I like the A900s. I don't love them but I like them well enough.

I like:

- The physical comfort level (My SR-225s at home take some getting used to
after wearing these

- The soundstage and instrument separation. Wow. Now I know what everyone else is referring to w/respect to the 3-d placement of instruments and the depth to the sound of the recording

- Tonal reproduction. I'm no musician but to me these do sound 'right'

I don't like:

- The lack of apparent mid-range energy. These just don't seem to have the texture that my 225s bring to vocals and guitar.

- Bass impact/slam. The bass presentation of the A900s is nice. The tone is right and there is some quantity there but I really do like a more visceral feel to the lower frequencies.

My musical taste runs to a fair amount of prog rock (tool, floater, hurt), a lot of metal, electronica (trance, ambient) hip-hop, some classic rock and a bunch of hair metal from the late eighties/early nineties.

In my research on this forum it would seem to suggest that the Denon D2000s might be a more appropriate choice for me. Opinions? Other suggestions? I'd like these to be closed and for the moment lets set a price of $400 (though as with any other head-fi related budget that is subject to change)

Oct 1, 2007 at 10:21 PM Post #2 of 7
The DT770 may also work out for you. From memory, the comfort was easily the greatest from all my past headphones, and that includes the A900.

Also, while the A900 and DT770 both create good seals around your ear, I've heard that the D2000s are a little looser around that area which means letting a bit of outside noise in... Never owned the D2000s, so its something to be checked up on.

As for the mid-range and bass, I do think that the DT770s surpass the A900 in this instance. But the texture will still not be up to the level of the SR225s.

Oct 2, 2007 at 1:02 AM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ezer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The DT770 may also work out for you. From memory, the comfort was easily the greatest from all my past headphones, and that includes the A900.

Also, while the A900 and DT770 both create good seals around your ear, I've heard that the D2000s are a little looser around that area which means letting a bit of outside noise in... Never owned the D2000s, so its something to be checked up on.

As for the mid-range and bass, I do think that the DT770s surpass the A900 in this instance. But the texture will still not be up to the level of the SR225s.

I've pretty much ruled the DT770 out as everything I've read about it says it'll be too bassy for me. I'd really like the tonal qualities and soundstage of the A900 with a thicker, fuller midrange and more impactful lower frequency response. Is there an alternative to the D2000? I'm not familiar with much in this range in the closed 'phone world...what's the typical next step above the D2000?

Oct 2, 2007 at 3:39 PM Post #5 of 7
perhaps the DT880 (semi-closed) are already outwards isolating enough for your needs...they are built like a tank, very comfy and get lots of good reviews from grado/alessandro lovers and they are the one headphone I'm actually still interested in trying (while I'm really happy with my MS2i's)

Oct 2, 2007 at 3:56 PM Post #6 of 7
I was in a similar situation, but got dissuaded from the D2000 by the fact that they don't isolate. So here I am with a PROline 750, and I think I'm happy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back