A900 with A1000 pads
Feb 10, 2005 at 9:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

lindrone

King Canaling
My A1000 pads just came in today, and immediately I put them on my A900. They do feel very different.. I don't know if I would say it's really more "comfortable". The pads itself is made from a higher quality, thicker pleather; and the pad is a little firmer and thinner than the stock A900 pads.

Since the pads are firmer, I don't know whether I'd say they're more comfortable; the earholes is just a tad smaller, but that's no big deal. Overall the firmness doesn't bother me at all, and the higher quality leather feels better. You know it will last longer too.

There's a slight improvement to the sound due to the thinner pads bringing the driver closer to your ears. They don't sound drastically different, but the midrange is a little more immediate.. it's just a "little".

Overall, a nice upgrade for A900 without spending a whole lot of money. Putting the pads on is a little tricky though.. patience is the key.

Feb 10, 2005 at 9:40 PM Post #2 of 7
Those stock A900 pads are pretty cheezy quality, they definitely need an upgrade. Speaking of the midrange, I found the DADS system to be holding them back. I call it the "we don't want them to sound too good" system. Personally I prefer them altered. This can be accomplished by taking them apart and modding (I don't mod A900's, please don't ask)...

They have a large foam ring inside the cups and a driver cover with slits and more foam. I cut the top off the driver holder and removed the foam, all of it, so they can breath. Experimenting with some other damping or leaving just the large gray foam, may be a good choice with stock metal cups. I prefer no foam at all for a better midrange and overall air and more 3D sound stage (but this was with woodies). Seems to me the driver wires go through the driver cover, so you'd either have to desolder/solder of carefully cut/grind or dremel it off while unscrewed, but still attached by the wires. While it's not super simple, it's not real difficult either if you are the DIY type. Putting the pads back on is a pain, as mentioned
biggrin.gif

Feb 11, 2005 at 5:54 AM Post #5 of 7
i just got mine pads (or will tomorrow morning when the post man comes back).

and had no idea how to change them, mind giving me a brief run down.

Feb 17, 2005 at 2:11 AM Post #6 of 7
I was wondering if maybe one of you could post some pictures of the A900's with the new A1000 pads? I've been seriously thinking about doing that upgrade too, but $50 for pads from Audiocubes is kinda steep.
rolleyes.gif

BUT, if I see what they look like, I might be persuaded...
lambda.gif

Feb 17, 2005 at 3:09 AM Post #7 of 7
do you think you could take some pics purk? im interested to see the a1000 pads on a900s (how they look) (oops, just realized it was posted... anyway, yes, please do!
icon10.gif
)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back