A900 vs. K501/K601
Oct 20, 2005 at 12:57 PM Post #17 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoNotBugMe
How much better would a Total Bithead ($260) be if I connected it up to the USB port of my laptop as opposed to a Total AirHead ($200) connected to the sound card? I really don't have plans on touching the sound card as I got it just a month ago. I'm leaning towards the latter unless there's something inherently wrong with that track...

It will probably be better to have a total bithead since you will be using a sound card that is detached from the laptop, i.e., less EM interference and other noise internal of a laptop. Also, they state that the amp is similar to the airhead. Has anybody compared both of these before?

Oct 20, 2005 at 7:18 PM Post #18 of 28
I tried searching, but there haven't been that many comparisons of the two.

My Plans

Since I'll buy the amp at a later date (to spread out costs), I think I can bump my amp budget up to the next level. How much better is the Micro Amp (alone) than the TA/TB if it's plugged directly into my sound card? I will get its matching DAC at a later time.

My rationale is this: I get the best of both worlds by using the full "stack" for music/piano and using the amp alone connected to my sound card for games. Is that logical, or am I wrong?

I didn't intend spending what looks to be $900 total on all this ... But that still doesn't beat my camera-related expenses which started at $300 but skyrocketed closer to $2000 in the end once I decided to go DSLR.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 22, 2005 at 12:18 PM Post #19 of 28
Oct 22, 2005 at 2:19 PM Post #20 of 28
Have you considered a used pair of Sony CD3000's? They're super-precise, do solo piano really well, and are easy to drive. I got mine for around $200, though I'm not sure what the going price is these days.

I don't think highly of the A900's for tonally sensitive material like solo piano. They are a lot of fun, but to my ears there is something really "off" in their rendering. K501's are great, but you will want an amp sooner rather than later. The tone's pretty decent without an amp, but during loud passages without an amp you'll probably drive the source to clipping and distortion.

Oct 22, 2005 at 6:20 PM Post #22 of 28
for a budget AKG that runs unamped easily and does piano almost as well as it's big brother the k501, you may like to try out the k100.

Oct 23, 2005 at 7:43 AM Post #23 of 28
Quote:

Remember that I've got a laptop. The product cited looks like it's only for desktops.

Sorry, I missed that. There are several usb and firewire soundcards to choose from, but I can't really help here.

Oct 23, 2005 at 1:27 PM Post #24 of 28
I feel that the K501’s are by far the best headphone available for less than $200 with one caveat; The 501’s need a really good amp with very big balls. As an example my Porta Corda Mk II does not drive the 501’s adequately. When driven by my Exemplar OTL/32 tube amp or my CIA VHP1/VAC1 the 501’s are amongst my favorite headphones. The 501’s are so good that is why I’m so excited about the new 601’s and 701’s.

The fact that the Clavinova has a built in 20 watt/channel amp has no bearing on the quality of its headphone output. I severely doubt that its headphone output will drive the 501’s well. I’ve never heard the A900’s so I can’t comment on their performance. I’m a fan of the MDR SA5000’s so perhaps as someone else here has suggested the MDR SA3000’s might be an attractive alternative.

Oct 23, 2005 at 4:38 PM Post #25 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yikes
The fact that the Clavinova has a built in 20 watt/channel amp has no bearing on the quality of its headphone output.

The model I'm looking at has an 60W amp unless I'm reading things wrong (Amplifiers: "60W x 2 + 20W x 2"). Even my older Clavinova is rated at 80W (surprising that it went down). Here's a link.

http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA/...RIBUTE,00.html

How would a Headroom Micro Amp perform with the K501/K601?

Oct 23, 2005 at 7:36 PM Post #26 of 28
Quote:

The model I'm looking at has an 60W amp unless I'm reading things wrong (Amplifiers: "60W x 2 + 20W x 2"). Even my older Clavinova is rated at 80W (surprising that it went down). Here's a link.

http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA/...RIBUTE,00.html

How would a Headroom Micro Amp perform with the K501/K601?

My point was that the amp that drives the speakers is NOT the same as the headphone output. The piano that you are getting has a line out so it is easy to use an external amp. Since this is the case you could get the K501’s and worse case scenario buy an amp after the fact.

As to the Headroom Micro Amp; I have listened to this amp and it is very good, but I did not try it with my K501’s so I can’t be sure. Someone else may have some experience with this combination. The Micro has a beefier power supply (2 - 9 volt batteries) than my Porta Corda MkII ( 1 – 9 Volt) so it very well may be able to drive the 501’s.

At this moment I am listening to the 501’s being driven (Very Well) by a Channel Island Audio VHP1/VAC1. Unless you absolutely need a portable amp I’d recommend getting a home unit. Home units don’t count on batteries so they usually have more robust power supplies. The Power Supply is the Heart of any amplifier. Everything else being equal an amp with a bigger power supply (with better regulation) will always sound better.

Oct 23, 2005 at 7:54 PM Post #27 of 28
Thanks for the clarification. I think I'll opt for the external amp (+ DAC combo for the computer at some point).

The micro (with the desktop module) represents the perfect balance for me because I'll be moving around a lot between my home and my appartment, yet I still want a decent experience. While I won't explicitly use the amp on the go (except maybe from time to time for my PSP and DS), I can't imagine bringing around a home-sized amp from place to place.

Oct 23, 2005 at 8:09 PM Post #28 of 28
Email or PM Tyll and ask him how the amp does with the 501's. I'm sure he'll give you an honest (allbeit slightly biased
smily_headphones1.gif
answer).

Actually he'll give you the straight dope. It does him no good to recommend an amp that you would be unhappy with. For small companies word of mouth is everything. If he says the amp can drive 501's I'd believe him.

Later

Users who are viewing this thread

Back