A900 vs. K501/K601
Oct 19, 2005 at 11:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

DoNotBugMe

100+ Head-Fier
Usage: The headphones will be used for two purposes: playing on a digital piano and playing games on the computer / listening entirely to classical on the computer. The piano portion is more important to me.

Source: The computer is a laptop that currently uses an The Audigy notebook PCMCIA card. The piano will be a new Clavinova, so source-wise, that's not a problem.

Needs: Looking for great soundstage, detailed (analytical?) sound that's particularly good with pianos.

Budget: $200-$300 (for just the headphones)

Looking at A900 ($199), K501 ($199), K601 ($299)

The dilemma, if you haven't figured out already is that these headphones do one part better while the other does the other part better. For example, the AKG's are clearly better when it comes to the piano portion, but the A900's are better when it comes to the computer portion because my source is weak (or is it?). Which would you buy?

I will NOT buy an amp with these headphones, but I am considering buying that at a later time.

Oct 20, 2005 at 1:05 AM Post #2 of 28
If your not going to buy an amp. Stick with the A900's. K501's really need a good amp to bring it to its fullest potential whereas the A900's sound good right out of the sound card. However, if you know you will be getting an amp in the future, its probably a better investment to get the K501's. Just my opinion of course. Good luck!

Oct 20, 2005 at 1:14 AM Post #3 of 28
I don't know about the AKGs but I love my A900s but they will prolly be going up for sale at the end of this week as I bought SA5000s. For Games the A900 is perfect and it works great for just about any type of music, a very balanced headphone. PM me as I said when I get my SA5000s on friday, I doubt I will want my a900s anymore.

Oct 20, 2005 at 1:14 AM Post #4 of 28
That's the dilemma. The piano's internal amp will bring out the best in the K501/601, but I have no idea how it will sound in the computer. I'm basically trading off sound quality between the piano and the computer.

I *could* buy an amp, but how would it fare if I plugged it straight into the sound card's optical out jack? And what kind of amp (reasonable price) would I be looking at for say... the K501/601?

Oct 20, 2005 at 1:21 AM Post #5 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoNotBugMe
That's the dilemma. The piano's internal amp will bring out the best in the K501/601, but I have no idea how it will sound in the computer. I'm basically trading off sound quality between the piano and the computer.

I *could* buy an amp, but how would it fare if I plugged it straight into the sound card's optical out jack? And what kind of amp (reasonable price) would I be looking at for say... the K501/601?

Sound quality shouldn't be that bad with just an audigy card. However, the volume level is going to be very very laid back, so much so that you might not like using the K501's. Put it in an amp and it will improve greatly. I've had the pleasure of owning both K501's and A900's and enjoy each for its intrinsic qualities.

BTW, you can't supply an amp the digital out. I think you meant the analog out. As for a recommendation for amp. You can always post a question in the amps section. In my opinion, I like coupling the dynalo (Gilmore Lite) with the K501. You need an amp with sufficient amount of power and alot of the low cost portable amps probably won't fit your bill. You can always go for tube amps as well... Its an endless set of possibilities.

Oct 20, 2005 at 2:10 AM Post #6 of 28
Wait, I can't plug in the amp directly to my sound card?

Oct 20, 2005 at 2:11 AM Post #7 of 28
Quote:

Wait, I can't plug in the amp directly to my sound card?

Sure you can, but make sure its the analog output your connecting into the amp and not the digital output.

Oct 20, 2005 at 2:27 AM Post #8 of 28
Ok, just making sure.

What recommendations do you have for amps in the $100-$200 range? Would something simple like the Airhead or Bithead work?

Oct 20, 2005 at 2:41 AM Post #10 of 28
I know.
smily_headphones1.gif

But if the AKG's really do deliver significantly more while I'm playing the piano (no way to test them side by side though!), that may tip the scales in AKG's favor.

Or I could go lazy and hop to the 701's and forgo the amp. They're easier to drive aren't they?

Oct 20, 2005 at 2:56 AM Post #11 of 28
Quote:

Ok, just making sure.

What recommendations do you have for amps in the $100-$200 range? Would something simple like the Airhead or Bithead work?

I can't say anything about headroom's amps but within that price range, you could get a DIYier to build you a good PPA, dynalo, or M3. Any one of which will give you what you need. Just make sure the amp you get isn't just battery powered, i.e., have a wall adapter to power it up. I find that the K501's require the most volume out of all my cans (CMOY's just didn't cut it for me).

Oct 20, 2005 at 4:24 AM Post #12 of 28
You could go with AKG K501s and a good amp, but I'd suggest spending less on an amp and upgrading sound card to say the EMU 0404 (also get a MIDI input with that I think for your piano). The K501s are excellent with classical and probably good from your piano, but I would suggest that there it won't be so important; clavinovas are great, but you can only go so far with synthesized sound.

Oct 20, 2005 at 4:31 AM Post #13 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by CSMR
You could go with AKG K501s and a good amp, but I'd suggest spending less on an amp and upgrading sound card to say the EMU 0404 (also get a MIDI input with that I think for your piano).

I agree with you on upgrading to the emu0404, but I don't think you should skimp on the amp. K501 is very hard to drive and having a cheap amp will make the sound from the K501's feel cheap!

Oct 20, 2005 at 4:34 AM Post #14 of 28
Remember that I've got a laptop. The product cited looks like it's only for desktops.

Oct 20, 2005 at 8:31 AM Post #15 of 28
How much better would a Total Bithead ($260) be if I connected it up to the USB port of my laptop as opposed to a Total AirHead ($200) connected to the sound card? I really don't have plans on touching the sound card as I got it just a month ago. I'm leaning towards the latter unless there's something inherently wrong with that track...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back