A900 vs. HD 555. Last questions before I pull the trigger.
Jul 17, 2004 at 9:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

elvergun

Headphoneus Supremus
I like the A900s…but just to make sure I make the right decision before I make the purchase...

Another set of cans that really interest me (and that are locally available to hear and buy) are the HD 555. I know that they are open while the A900s are closed. I don’t care about the open/close factor. What I am looking for are great sounding circumaural phones that can be easily driven by a portable device (without amplification).

Both the A900 and the HD 555 are good phones (based on what I’ve read)…but which one is going to sound better unamped? Which of the two models is more bassy? I'm interested in clear, precise bass...not something boomy and artificial.

Oh yeah…and which one is bigger and/or heavier?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Jul 17, 2004 at 9:37 PM Post #2 of 31
I have the A900's and had the HD 595's, and out of both, i liked my A900's better. The 595's and the 555's should sound alike, so this should give you an idea. I felt that the A900's had better bass than the 595's, and to me, they had a more musical, clearer sound. The 595's had a little veil to them. I definetly think that the A900's would sound better than the 555's unamped.

Jul 17, 2004 at 10:04 PM Post #3 of 31
buy them both! buy them both! you know you want to! everybody needs at least 1 pair of open cans and one pair of closed cans!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Jul 17, 2004 at 11:01 PM Post #5 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by elvergun
…but, just to make sure I make the right decision before I make the purchase...

No matter what you do - you will always second guess yourself. This is Head-Fi, after all.

Jul 17, 2004 at 11:01 PM Post #6 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by elliot
buy them both! buy them both! you know you want to! everybody needs at least 1 pair of open cans and one pair of closed cans!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

tongue.gif

I do want to...I do want to! Ok.

Hey wait a minute…that’s more than $350. Never mind….

Jul 17, 2004 at 11:39 PM Post #7 of 31
Maybe the question should be, do you want the A900 or the A500 & HD555? Depending on shipping, you're talking about a $20-30 difference there.

Jul 17, 2004 at 11:57 PM Post #8 of 31
Quote:

I do want to...I do want to! Ok.

Hey wait a minute…that’s more than $350. Never mind….

You could get the A500's for around $100, and the HD555's for around $120 if you wanted.
attachment.php

As long as you don't get sucked in to the mindset of upgrading, those two pairs should have you set for plenty of time.

And seriously, beyond the $100/$150 price range, you really have to pay a whole lot more to get any kind of significant improvement in performance. Diminishing returns are real.

You will get much more bang for the buck by buying one good quality open and one good quality closed pair instead of just one really expensive pair (that is... unless you have very narrow sonic tastes, and know exactly what you want, and already know exactly what headphones sound best to you and blow all others away (if thats even possible and to your ears).) Its good to have a little bit of variety, and the A500 should be pretty close to the A900, and the HD555 should be pretty close to the HD595.

Here is a link for you. Let us know what you decide to do.

Jul 18, 2004 at 12:26 AM Post #10 of 31
Quote:

I like the A900s…but just to make sure I make the right decision before I make the purchase...
Oh yeah…and which one is bigger and/or heavier?

The A900's are bigger. If it was me, I would get the A900's. Best bang for buck.

The picture below shows AKG K271S, Senn HD 555 and AT A500 and should give you an idea of size difference.

AUT_0111.jpg

Jul 18, 2004 at 12:42 AM Post #11 of 31
You guys are really trying to lure me into the dark side (and doing a good job BTW). Next you will now try to get into my easily malleable mind the idea that I NEED an amp (well, perhaps I do).

Well, I gather from the responses (or lack thereof) that the A900s are probably better than the 555s unamped.

Hmm, two phones…that sounds sweet.

Well, it’s either going to be the A900 or the A500/HD555 combo.

The A500/HD555 combo? What. Do I really need a set of open cans?

You bastards. Now I’m all confused.
confused.gif

Jul 18, 2004 at 12:49 AM Post #12 of 31
... or A500/K240S combo.
... or A500/MS1 combo.*
... or HD555/ER6 combo.*

Trying to visualize cranial explosion.

To be honest, if you go two phones, I think it should be because of different signatures, more so than open and closed (unless you have a practical need for it).

* both models are not circumaural.

Jul 18, 2004 at 12:53 AM Post #13 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3lusiv3
The A900's are bigger. If it was me, I would get the A900's. Best bang for buck.

The picture below shows AKG K271S, Senn HD 555 and AT A500 and should give you an idea of size difference.

AUT_0111.jpg

He he…I see that you also NEEDED open and closed cans.

Thanks for the picture. I had never seen a front shot of the A500s. Are those things that rest on your head comfortable?

What do you think of the K271s? Which one of the three would you say is more comfy? How about the unamped performance of the three?

Jul 18, 2004 at 1:10 AM Post #14 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx
... or A500/K240S combo.
... or A500/MS1 combo.*
... or HD555/ER6 combo.*

Trying to visualize cranial explosion.

To be honest, if you go two phones, I think it should be because of different signatures, more so than open and closed (unless you have a practical need for it).

* both models are not circumaural.

Well, to be honest, I had already thought of the two headphones purchase scenario.

The second set of cans I had in mind (a little further down the road) are the Grado SR60. I read lots of good things about these cans…or perhaps a pair of PortaPros.

I guess these two models (the Grado and the Koss) would fall under the different signature category.

Jul 18, 2004 at 1:13 AM Post #15 of 31
Quote:

He he…I see that you also NEEDED open and closed cans.

Thanks for the picture. I had never seen a front shot of the A500s. Are those things that rest on your head comfortable?

What do you think of the K271s? Which one of the three would you say is more comfy? How about the unamped performance of the three?

I have the 271s and the A900s (plus others, see my sig). The A900 blows the 271s out of the water, no question about that. The 271s are veiled in the mids and uppers, but they do have reasonable bass. A900s are more even, more comfortable, and probably easier to drive (haven't tested that last bit yet).

If I were you i'd buy one really good set of cans, not two lesser ones. If you're anything like me you'd get the upgrade bug within a few weeks, and then probably go out and upgrade both. If you get the A900 you know you'll have one of the best closed, isolation cans on the market, if you get the A500 you'll always wonder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back