A900 not rocking enough for me - recommend me another headphone
Jul 8, 2007 at 12:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 65

Progenitor

100+ Head-Fier
I've bought an ATH-A900 headphone based on my research here, and as my first entry into the world of Hi-fi, the phones impressed me quite a lot. For Jazz I have absolutely no complains whatsoever. For classical the soundstage is impressive, and I feel quite satisfied excepted for a slightly confused mid to high bass range.

However, I've found the phone to be lacking when I am listening to rock, metal or certain type pop music. I think it's due to the recessed mids but I can't put my finger on precisely what it is that I find wrong. The result is that I just don't feel the energy of the performance. Basically I am looking for a pair of headphones that would complement my A900 well (taking over its weak point).

I have very recently tonight saw a thread that shows amazing prices for beyerdynamics (I live in the UK so most headphones prices are daynight robbery.). The DT700 Pro and DT900 Pro I can obtain at pretty good prices. I quite like the idea of getting the DT900 since I would like an Open headphone to complement my closed A900.

However, due to my many days of reading the archives in this forum, I saw that the Grados are very good rocking headphones. I had a chance to audition the Grados 325i and I came away impressed by its classical performance. However, I was kicked out of the shop before I can try out its rock performance. In the UK those phones has a price tag that would give me nightmares. However, since one of my friends is in the US atm, he's happy to buy them for me.

I generally use those headphones for J-Pop, Rock, Jazz and Classical (in that order). I listen to them pretty much all night every night so comfort is an consideration.

I would say my price range is less than £200 ($400). If you guys can recommend me a phone that can replace the A900 as well I would sell the A900 to go towards that phone (+$150). My concern is that after buying the second phone, I would just find another flaw with this one, and just keep buying another phone! I feel I have already caught the upgraditis.
eek.gif

My source is the x-fi going into an Zhaolu 2.5A with the discrete headphone amp upgrade. The Amp upgrade is pretty good (I only need to turn it at the 10 o'clock position to give ear killing sounds on my A900).

Thanks you very much in advance!

Jul 8, 2007 at 1:05 AM Post #2 of 65
Exactly my thoughts on the A900s. They just lack the passion in rock that I crave. I'm getting the SR80s on Monday, I'll let you know how they measure up against the A900

Jul 8, 2007 at 1:19 AM Post #3 of 65
Passion! That's exactly the word I was looking for in describing A900's short fall in rocks. Electric guitar solos just lacks that oomph when it's being played by the A900.

Good luck with the SR80! It would be great to hear what you think especially you are in the same situation as me (Bought the A900 first and found the exact same problem with it).

Jul 8, 2007 at 1:57 AM Post #4 of 65
... on the other hand, passions is exactly what i think ES7 has...

however, have to agree that Grados are great for that... really really great!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 8, 2007 at 2:03 AM Post #5 of 65
I see in your signature that you have the beyerdynamics DT880, Grado SR325 and the Alessandro MS-1. Atm, I am considering the SR325, MS2i, or any Beyerdynamics (DT770 for the crazy bass, DT880 for the more neutral sound, DT990 for good bass and good piano performance - but I heard the DT990 has recessed mid - just like the A900).

Can you tell me your impression of the MS-1 vs 325 vs DR880?

Jul 8, 2007 at 2:21 AM Post #8 of 65
Where can I get the 600 ohm version? So far I only seen the 250 ohm version of the 990.

*edit* Nevermind! I found that you can buy a custom version on the beyerdynamic website for quite a bit more money which includes the 600 ohm version.

Is there such a big difference between the 250 ohm version and 600 ohm version? The 250 version is really cheap and tempting compared to the 600 ohm version.

Jul 8, 2007 at 2:49 AM Post #9 of 65
well, for the MS-1 vs SR325, I'll tell you what I said a few minutes before:

" well, what I can tell you is that they are very different one from the other!

both are great HP, but MS-1 is very very much more laid back! even with moded pads their sound is more neutral (beaware! not neutral as K701! but more neutral)

the SR325 is very active! the highs are very strong and it has stronger lows. the music is very upfront and active

IMO, SR325 are impossible for music like classical or acoustic, they even made me headaches for this! but they are unbeatable for rock! for that they are indeed great! very very good!.

MS-1 is for me great for female voices and acoustical musics! because they sound so natural!

so, this really depends on what you want to hear!

so, if you like the grado sound signature, those maybe worth the upgrading, because they are very good HP (considerning what i said)

however, if you love your MS-1 sound for being more laid back, get MS2, not SR325! otherwise SR325 is a great can"

regarding the DT880...

well, those are a hell of a performing HP! they are great! a lot of definition, very good mids and bass.

I use them for virtually everything! as I use to say,K701 for classical, SR325 for Rock, MS1 for female voices and acoustics, ES7 for the fun and.. .. DT880 for all of it!

Jul 8, 2007 at 2:50 AM Post #10 of 65
BTW - DT880 are not that neutral! I call neutral to my K701, DT880 are warmer than them, but not THE warm HP!

they are also very very confy! (Great HP!)

Jul 8, 2007 at 3:07 AM Post #11 of 65
It sounds like the 325i is what I would prefer rather than the MS-1/MS-2i. By the sounds of things, the 325i are better in the area where the A900 is weak in. Plus, I have felt and heard them before so I kinda know what I'll be getting for my money.

I really wish I have access to Hi-Fi shops to try out those phones without feeling guilty because of their over-priced goods. (I believe that if I am trying out the sound from the shop, I should buy from them instead of going online but that's impossible for the 325i and the beyers).

Jul 8, 2007 at 4:51 AM Post #12 of 65
Haha, exactly. I want to try the SR80s before I buy them (local deal), but the only hi-fi store in vancouver that stocks them prices them at $179.. what a crime. I don't want to demo them in-store, because I'd know automatically that they are not getting any business from me.

I'll let you know about the SR80s either tomorrow or Monday.

Jul 8, 2007 at 10:44 AM Post #13 of 65
For me, my experience was a little worst. I tried the 325i in the audio shop out of a conversation we had (I was there for a sptif cable), and after the initial trial of the phone, I then ask them the price. I expected a little mark up (£50 or so) which I am happy with, but then they've said the price is £375 (around $700), and that this is the best you can get from Grados (I know that the 325i is middle of the range). Luckily I did quite a bit of reading on the head-fi's archive!

Basically it sounds like my choice is between the DT990 (which I can get quite cheaply), or the 325i (which I can get at the standard price). I suspect I'll get both eventually but atm which do you think would go best with my A900?

Jul 8, 2007 at 11:18 AM Post #14 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by Progenitor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For me, my experience was a little worst. I tried the 325i in the audio shop out of a conversation we had (I was there for a sptif cable), and after the initial trial of the phone, I then ask them the price. I expected a little mark up (£50 or so) which I am happy with, but then they've said the price is £375 (around $700), and that this is the best you can get from Grados (I know that the 325i is middle of the range). Luckily I did quite a bit of reading on the head-fi's archive!

Basically it sounds like my choice is between the DT990 (which I can get quite cheaply), or the 325i (which I can get at the standard price). I suspect I'll get both eventually but atm which do you think would go best with my A900?

Grados. DT-990 also lacks a bit in mids. Though they certainly do not lack energy of rock, but Grados are bit better in my ears.

You might want to consider Alessandro MS2 though. Its based on SR325i, modified to be bit more neutral, and you can get them HALF cheaper INCLUDING shipping. Getting Grados from EU is simply not worth it unless you can get one directly from the USA. If you can get SR325i from Usa, it is worth considering especially if you want more energy than what Alessandro headphones can provide.

Energy is bit double edged sword too. It might be better for rock, but classical sounds unnatural in long-term listening.

Jul 8, 2007 at 11:20 AM Post #15 of 65
Grado with flat pad from TTVJ
plainface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back