A900 equalizing. An attempt to make up for its weaknesses
Mar 18, 2009 at 3:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Eleazar

New Head-Fier
Very simple setup, XFi Forte w/ built-in amp->A900. Using 10-band equalizer from the XFi software suite.

Made two presets to decided which I liked better.

First (pronounced)
250 +2
500 +5
2k +2
4k +5
8k +6
16k +5

Second (recessed)
250 +1.3
500 +3
2k +2
4k +3
8k +4
16k +3

Music used for testing:
ASMF Mariner: Brandenburg Concertos
ATB Seven Years: Let U Go, Ecstasy, Triologie Part 2, Humanity, Let U Go
ATB DJ In the Mix 3: Summer Rain [136 BPM Mix]
Orpheus Chamber Orchestra: Handel, Arrival of the Queen of Sheba
Orpheus Chamber Orchestra: ArcAngelo Corelli Concerto in G Minor
Goerne and Brendel: Schubert, Wintereisse Gute Nacht
Streicher, Koln, and Gobel: Telemann, Concerto Polonois G-dur
Some piano compliation CD(average recording quality, good performance): Debussy, Clair de Lune
Itzhak Perlman Vivaldi Four Seasons (btw, Itzhak is amazing)

I chose music I was very familiar with and had listened to with the A900's for quite some time(months) before I finally decided to do some equalizing. I have also listened to this music extensively on my Klipsch Promedia Ultra 5.1's.

One thing is for sure since using these equalizer settings, I will not go back to the original sound, it is a definite improvement. The best way I can describe using general terms is that everything is more engaging, whether it's the bass in ATB or the harpsichord in Telemann. I have had the chance to here many of the classical instruments in person, except for period instruments in the Baroque era and not these specific concertos or orchestras. I can say the intruments sound much closer to how they should, especially the violin and harpsichord. As a general rule I used the recessed mostly, only using the pronounced on certain ATB songs and to my surprise, Vivaldi and Bach.

Going back to unequalized, it sounds like only part of the instrument's sound there, most especially when listening to Telemann with the harpsichord.

Was hoping to hear from others and see what settings they use with the A900s.

Mar 18, 2009 at 3:39 AM Post #2 of 8
A good thing to do would be sell.....
smily_headphones1.gif
Sorry but i did and i dont regret at all.

Mar 18, 2009 at 3:42 AM Post #3 of 8
you'd be much better off cutting the frequencies you don't want than boosting all those frequencies.

also, when you edit, hit "go advanced" and I believe you can change thread titles.

Mar 18, 2009 at 3:48 AM Post #4 of 8
Mar 18, 2009 at 4:51 AM Post #5 of 8
I have a 10 band EQ on my Kenwood amp. I've found it very useful on a per track basis for enhancing some details and supressing others. Slight and infrequent would be a good description of it's usage.
That said, if I needed to use settings like yours, I would be looking into some new phones. That's just me though, so if you're happy with your set-up's SQ, then that's what really matters.

With your current settings, I'd be trying -3db to -5db on the 1k band, then use only +1db or +2db on the other bands if needed, but leave the 3 lowest bands at zero.

Mar 18, 2009 at 4:55 AM Post #6 of 8
Fjrabon I will try your suggestions and see what I get, I am new at this sort of thing so I am making beginner mistakes I am sure.

PiccoloNamek, thanks for the guide, your method is much more sophisticated than mine. It will interesting to see what results I will get with your method.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back