A900 + AV-710 owners
Jul 17, 2004 at 6:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

deviant03

Well I would like to return the av710 to newegg but I am not since it would cost me shipping so I guess I might as well try a few more times to get it working. My question is for the people that have the same setup: If you are running the A900 off the av710, are you using a amp? Do you have any other sources you can compare the sound to? Connecting the A900 to my Marantz CC4300 changer is a dramatic difference from the av710 (way more midrange and bass). Now I dont expect a $25 soundcard to compete with a $300 changer but I do expect it to outperform my current onboard audio solution which it does not. Like I said in the previous thread I started, I have to set the volume at least at 75%+ for a decent level to listen at yet even then there is no bass at all compared to the Marantz. Mr. Radar pointed out that to use the 7/8 ouput I might need a amp so I switched over to the line out but the volume level is exactly the same. Im just starting to question the hype around this particular card, either that or I must be doing something wrong since so many people had a positive experience with it. I would appreciate it if any of you can give me a comparison with the a900s/av710 combo to other sources you might have.

Jul 18, 2004 at 3:10 AM Post #4 of 9
I know it sounds as a very simplistic suggestion, but if you use foobar2000, did you check your replaygain levels? Though if it's just all sounds overall, I do not know, you've ran me out of ideas in the other thread deviant :p

Jul 19, 2004 at 7:59 PM Post #5 of 9
I was having the same problem with my A500's, I had volumes all the way up in windows, foobar and through the drivers and it was barely loud enough for me. But i got a Xin Supermini from a friend of mine for 30 bucks and its like night and day. My volume is at about 1/3 on my amp and its perfectly loud enough and the bass is very much there.

Jul 19, 2004 at 8:14 PM Post #6 of 9
Running the AV-710 through my CMoy, even with teh CMoy with volume off I can still here sound, that's how loud the line out on the sucker is. You are doing something wrong, if I can use my HD600s out of the line out and get perfectly acceptable sound. If anything, the AV-710 is too loud.

Jul 19, 2004 at 8:24 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Darius94523
Running the AV-710 through my CMoy, even with teh CMoy with volume off I can still here sound, that's how loud the line out on the sucker is. You are doing something wrong, if I can use my HD600s out of the line out and get perfectly acceptable sound. If anything, the AV-710 is too loud.

I have to agree. As of right now, I have my HD600s plugged into the "Hi-Res" output of the AV-710, and the volume is definitely more than sufficiently loud.

~KS

Jul 19, 2004 at 8:36 PM Post #8 of 9
Volume may be sufficently high even with demanding cans, but the line out will not drive any good bass even with non-demanding cans.

Jul 24, 2004 at 8:02 PM Post #9 of 9
Thanks for all the help guys. Ive tried all suggestions and made sure all the settings were correct which they were. Commando, yes I do know its a line out and not a headphone out, the A900 seems to work fine from the line out on my onboard audio. Anyways the problem is still there so Im assuming that the A900 would need a amp to work properly off the Chaintech based on bubbers214 post since he has similar equipment.. unless someone else is running the A900/A500 straight from the Chaintech soundcard..?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back